How Does Conditional Probability Affect Computer Reliability Over Time?

In summary, the question asks for the probability that a computer will be operational for 100 days if it is turned on and off once a day, with a given probability of faults occurring each time. The first part of the question can be solved by finding the probability of no faults occurring for 100 days, while the second part involves considering the conditional probability of a fault occurring if the keyboard cable is damaged. This can affect the overall probability of the computer being operational for 100 days.
estado3

Homework Statement

Assuming a comp is switched on, the probability that the monitor is not working is 0.005, the probability that the CPU is faulty is 0.02, and the probability that the keyboard cable has been damaged is 0.0025, and that there are no other faults.

Proceed to evaluate the probability that the computer will be operaitonal for a period of 100 days, if it is switched on and off once a day only, and that the faults have the same probability of occurence on each occasion

The question then says that the conditional probability of the monitor not working given that the keyboard cable has been damaged is 0.05, and askes how it affects the answers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this :
( 1-(0.02+0.005+0.0025)^100)
which is 0.386 for the first part

A little stuck on the second part I assume:
(1 - (0.005 X 0.05 + 0.002 + 0.0025) ) ^100

but the correct answer is 0.390459

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, here are some steps:
1) on any given day, what is the chance that it will fail to boot?
2) then what is the chance that it crashes the first day
3) what is the chance that it happens the second day (warning! this is not the same as in 2, which is where you went wrong above)
4) now extend to 100 days

CompuChip said:
3) what is the chance that it happens the second day (warning! this is not the same as in 2, which is where you went wrong above)

the faults have the same probability of occurence on each occasion

What o_O

If it crashes the second day, this means that it did not give up the first day.
So it is the conditional probability
[tex]P(\text{crash on day 2}) = P(\text{no crash on day 1}) P(\text{crash day 1})[/tex]
and similarly
[tex]P(\text{crash on day 3}) = P(\text{no crash on day 1}) P(\text{no crash on day 2}) P(\text{crash day 1})[/tex]
etc., which is different from
[tex]P(\text{crash on day 1})[/tex]

But the boot ups are mutually exclusive events, they do not depend on previous results, why should they? Its like the chance of taking out a queen from a pack of cards, which is the boot up. Then at the end, you replace the card, the boot down. The next time you pull out a card, there's exactly the same chance!

estado3 said:
The question then says that the conditional probability of the monitor not working given that the keyboard cable has been damaged is 0.05, and askes how it affects the answers

A little stuck on the second part I assume:
(1 - (0.005 X 0.05 + 0.002 + 0.0025) ) ^100

but the correct answer is 0.390459
Hint: Monitor fault and KB fault can no longer be assumed to be two independent events.

Gib Z said:
But the boot ups are mutually exclusive events, they do not depend on previous results, why should they?
The outcomes of boot-ups are not mutually exclusive, they are mutually independent (perhaps this is what you meant to say).

What compuchip was writing down may be clarified by a little rewording:

[tex]P(\text{crash only on day 2}) = P(\text{no crash on day 1}) P(\text{crash day 2}) = P(\text{no crash on day 1}) P(\text{crash day 1})[/tex]

estado3 said:
Proceed to evaluate the probability that the computer will be operaitonal for a period of 100 days, if it is switched on and off once a day only, and that the faults have the same probability of occurence on each occasion

Gib Z said:
But the boot ups are mutually exclusive events, they do not depend on previous results, why should they? Its like the chance of taking out a queen from a pack of cards, which is the boot up.

And then I read the question as: what is the chance that I will draw a queen exactly the 100th time (and no queen all the times before it).

At least, I assumed from the word "operational for 100 days" that it shouldn't fail in any of those days, and then crash on either the 100th or the 101st (depending on the interpretation).

CompuChip said:
If it crashes the second day, this means that it did not give up the first day.
So it is the conditional probability
[tex]P(\text{crash on day 2}) = P(\text{no crash on day 1}) P(\text{crash day 1})[/tex]
and similarly
[tex]P(\text{crash on day 3}) = P(\text{no crash on day 1}) P(\text{no crash on day 2}) P(\text{crash day 1})[/tex]
etc., which is different from
[tex]P(\text{crash on day 1})[/tex]

Although this is true... I'm wondering for part a) why not just say the probability it is operational for 100 days =

(probability operation 1st day) AND (probability operational second day) AND etc...

= [(1-0.005)(1-0.02)(1-0.0025)]^100

I'm wondering if I misunderstood the question because I'm not getting 0.390459 for the second part.

The probability of monitor working or not given that keyboard cable is DAMAGED makes no difference to probability of computer booting or not, since its the same as the probability of keyboard cable not working. But this is true only if the probability of monitor not working given that keyboard cable is OK is the same as in first part, which may not be the case.

Thus if its possible to find the probability that monitor is not working given the keyboard cable is OK, we have a new value for monitor not working. Replacing this new value in the first part should give the relevant answer. Thats what I think, though I may be wrong :(.

Regards,
Sleek.

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. In other words, it is the probability of event A happening, assuming that event B has already happened.

How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of both events happening by the probability of the first event happening. This can be represented as P(A|B), where A is the first event and B is the second event. The formula is: P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B).

What is the difference between conditional probability and joint probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred, while joint probability is the likelihood of two events occurring together. Conditional probability is calculated using joint probability, but it takes into account the probability of the first event already happening.

How is conditional probability used in real life?

Conditional probability has many applications in real life, such as in weather forecasting, medical diagnosis, and risk analysis. It is also used in decision-making processes, such as determining the probability of a certain outcome based on previous events.

What is Bayes' theorem and how is it related to conditional probability?

Bayes' theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between conditional probability and prior knowledge. It is used to update the probability of an event occurring based on new evidence. It is closely related to conditional probability because it uses conditional probabilities to calculate the likelihood of an event.