Differentiate with Respect to X

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating with respect to X using the chain rule. The first example is simplified to 3e^(3x)+1/x, while the second example is solved using the chain rule to get 3/2(5+x^2)^(1/2). The differentiation of ln(2x) is incorrect because the inner function is 2x, not x. Finally, it is mentioned that ln(2x)=ln(x)+ln(2) is lost during differentiation because it is a constant.
matt_crouch

Homework Statement

Differentiate with respect to X

Homework Equations

1) e^3x + ln2x

2) (5+x^2)^3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

1) isn't it just normal differentiation? so

3e^3x + 1/2x

only thing i wasnt sure about was the differentiation of ln2x

2) second one i let t=(5+x^2) differentiated that then differentiated t^3/2 to get 3/2t^1/2

but this is where i got stuck as i wasnt sure where to go from here

is the answer just

3/2 (5+x^2)^1/2 or is it 3/2(2x)^1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are examples of the chain rule.
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du} \frac{du}{dx}
[/tex]

In 1) you've differentiated incorrectly the term ln(2x). The outer function is y=ln(u) but the inner function is u=2x.
So from the result of differentiating ln(2x) should be (1/2x)*2 = 1/x

In 2) the outer function is y=u^(3/2), but the inner function is u=5+x^2. Can you do it from here?

so y=u^(3/2) differentiates to dy/dx= (3/2)(x^2)^(1/2)

?

No, no, no. y=(5+x^2)^(3/2), u=5+x^2. So y=u^(3/2), dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx. dy/du=d(u^(3/2))/du=(3/2)*u^(1/2)=(3/2)*(5+x^2)^(1/2). That's the part you've got. But you keep forgetting to multiply by the du/dx part. Look up the chain rule and work some more examples. This is a pretty important point.

By the way ln(2x)= ln(x)+ ln(2). That should be easier to differentiate.

ahh ye course iv got it now.. it was just the final step i was missing
cheers.
ye i realized the ln(2x)=ln(x)+ln(2) is lost during differntiation because its a constant right?

just lack of revision I am afraid =]

FAQ: Differentiate with Respect to X

1. What does it mean to differentiate with respect to x?

Differentiating with respect to x means finding the rate of change of a function with respect to the variable x. In other words, it is a way of determining how much a function changes as the value of x changes.

2. Why is differentiating with respect to x important?

Differentiating with respect to x is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its relationship to the variable x. It is also a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in many areas of science and engineering.

3. How do you differentiate with respect to x?

To differentiate with respect to x, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the function. These rules involve manipulating the function algebraically and applying basic differentiation rules to find the derivative.

4. What is the difference between differentiating with respect to x and differentiating with respect to y?

The main difference between differentiating with respect to x and y is that x represents the independent variable while y represents the dependent variable. When differentiating with respect to x, we are looking at how the dependent variable changes in response to changes in the independent variable. When differentiating with respect to y, we are looking at how the independent variable changes in response to changes in the dependent variable.

5. How is differentiation with respect to x used in real life?

Differentiation with respect to x is used in many real-life applications, including physics, economics, engineering, and biology. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects, determine optimal production levels in a business, or model population growth. It is also used in creating mathematical models to understand and predict real-world phenomena.

Back