Cheap Software/Tools for Plotting Cartesian Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses options for cheap or free software or online tools for plotting complicated Cartesian graphs. The desired functionalities include the ability to select ranges for x and y, plot multiple functions on the same graph, and plot long functions. Gnuplot is suggested as a potential option, with the recommendation of Geogebra for those looking to create publishable images.
Big-Daddy
Does anyone know any cheap (preferably free) software or online tools for plotting reasonably complicated Cartesian graphs? I would like the functionality to 1) be able to select the range of x and y over which to view the graph, 2) be able to plot multiple functions on the same graph and 3) plot quite long functions of x and y (though they will not contain anything non-elementary). 2D only needed

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gnuplot [1] may fit your bill and has been around for a long time (I used it for my papers and thesis ages ago).

[1] http://www.gnuplot.info/

+1 for gnuplot.

Thanks for the recommendation. It seems to work for most things and there's loads of documentation but I haven't been able to get this online trial to plot my y-scale too? e.g. http://toycompute.net/?p=1 it's fine when I try code " plot x**2 " but, say, " plot x**2+y**2=6 " and it just plots y=x^2 again, rather than x^2+y^2=6. I couldn't find any example plots using full f(x,y) functions either. Any idea how to deal with this?

desmos.com is pretty good as long as you have a good connection to the internet.

edit: If you are looking to make images to publish, this will not do.

Geogebra

You should go on google and search for Geogebra. It is free, but you need to have jave on your computer, so that you can use Geogebra smoothly.

What is "Cheap Software/Tools for Plotting Cartesian Graphs"?

"Cheap Software/Tools for Plotting Cartesian Graphs" refers to computer programs or tools that can be used to create graphs with a Cartesian coordinate system, typically at a lower cost compared to other software options. These graphs are commonly used in scientific and mathematical fields to visually represent data and relationships between variables.

Why would someone need cheap software/tools for plotting Cartesian graphs?

Someone may need cheap software/tools for plotting Cartesian graphs if they do not have access to or cannot afford more expensive software options, but still need to create graphs for their work or research. Additionally, some may prefer simpler and more affordable software for basic graphing needs.

What features should I look for in cheap software/tools for plotting Cartesian graphs?

Some important features to consider when looking for cheap software/tools for plotting Cartesian graphs include the ability to customize the appearance of the graph, the ability to add and manipulate multiple data sets, and the ability to export or save the graph in various file formats. It may also be helpful to look for user-friendly interfaces and tutorials or support options.

Are there any free options for plotting Cartesian graphs?

Yes, there are free options available for plotting Cartesian graphs. These may include open-source software or online tools that do not require any payment or subscription. However, it is important to carefully research and assess the features and capabilities of these free options to ensure they meet your needs.

Can cheap software/tools for plotting Cartesian graphs produce high-quality graphs?

Yes, some cheap software/tools for plotting Cartesian graphs can produce high-quality graphs. The quality of the graph will depend on the specific features and capabilities of the software or tool, as well as the skills and techniques of the user. It is important to thoroughly test and compare different options to find the best one for your specific needs.