Telling if three vectors in the same plane? Help

In summary: The determinant is just a way of representing the three vectors as a linear combination. If you have multiple vectors that need to be combined, you can use a determinant to calculate the contribution of each vector.
samh
Telling if three vectors in the same plane?? Help!

Hey guys I've got a question about vectors that's confusing me. Here's what my book says:

Two vectors are called independent in R2 if they are not multiples of each other. Three vectors in R3 are called independent if they are not in the same plane.

Example: (1,0,1), (0,1,0) and (1,1,1) are not independent (since (1,0,1) + (0,1,0) = (1,1,1)).

I don't understand the example... How do you tell if three vectors in R3 are in the same plane? Why does adding the first two and getting (1,1,1) show this? I'm real rusty on all this plane stuff... Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if one of them is NOT in the same plane formed by the other two, then you can't completely describe that vector in terms of the other two. The simplest example is the standard unit vectors in cartesian coordinates : i, j and k. You can never express k as c1i+c2j, for contants c1 and c2. Such vectors are known as linearly independent.

Think of it this way, when you add two vectors (or scalar multiples of them), the resulting vector goes from the "tail" of one to the "head" of the other. The "tail", "head" and the point where these two vectors meet all form a unique plane.

samh said:
I don't understand the example... How do you tell if three vectors in R3 are in the same plane? Why does adding the first two and getting (1,1,1) show this? I'm real rusty on all this plane stuff... Any help is appreciated.
Any three given vectors <x1,y1,z1>, <x2,y2,z2>, <x3,y3,z3>
are coplanar iff <x1,y1,z1> [itex]\times[/itex] <x2,y2,z2> • <x3,y3,z3> = 0

Last edited:
Three vectors are in the same plane (coplanar) if and only if they are "dependent". That is, there is some linear combination Av1+ Bv2+ Cv3= 0 with not all of A, B, C equal to 0. Equivalently, one vector can be written as a linear combination of the other two.

Bomba923's last post "Any three given vectors <x1,y1,z1>, <x2,y2,z2>, <x3,y3,z3> are coplanar iff <x1,y1,z1>[itex]\times[/itex]<x2,y2,z2> • <x3,y3,z3> = 0" is a good way of checking. Even more simply that calculation can be written as a single determinant:
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}x_1 & y_1 & z_1 \\ x_2 & y_2 & z_2 \\ x_3 & y_3 & z_3 \end{array}\right|[/tex]

(adding to the last previous two posts...)

that HallsofIvy's determinant (and bomba923's scalar triple product) can be intrepreted as the volume enclosed by a box (parallelepiped) with sides given by your three vectors. If that volume is zero, the box is "degenerate"... and the three vectors lie on a common plane.

robphy said:
(adding to the last previous two posts...)

that HallsofIvy's determinant (and bomba923's scalar triple product) can be intrepreted as the volume enclosed by a box (parallelepiped) with sides given by your three vectors. If that volume is zero, the box is "degenerate"... and the three vectors lie on a common plane.
Good point!

1. How can I tell if three vectors are in the same plane?

To determine if three vectors are in the same plane, you can use the dot product. If the dot product between any two of the vectors is equal to zero, then they are perpendicular and therefore in the same plane. Another method is to check if the cross product between two of the vectors is equal to the third vector, which also indicates that they are in the same plane.

2. What is the significance of vectors being in the same plane?

Vectors in the same plane indicate that they share a common direction and can be represented on a two-dimensional plane. This allows for easier visualization and calculation of their properties, such as magnitude and direction.

3. Can three non-coplanar vectors be in the same plane?

No, three non-coplanar vectors cannot be in the same plane. Coplanar vectors lie on the same two-dimensional plane, while non-coplanar vectors are in different planes. Therefore, it is not possible for three non-coplanar vectors to be in the same plane.

4. What are some real-world applications of determining if vectors are in the same plane?

Determining if vectors are in the same plane has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, in physics, it can be used to analyze forces acting on an object in a two-dimensional plane. In engineering, it can be used to calculate the stability of structures. In computer graphics, it can be used to create 3D models and animations.

5. Is there a geometric interpretation of three vectors being in the same plane?

Yes, there is a geometric interpretation of three vectors being in the same plane. If three vectors are in the same plane, it means that they lie on a flat surface and can be represented by points on a two-dimensional coordinate system. This geometric interpretation is helpful in understanding the relationship between the vectors and their properties.