Wind, Narrowing Cones and Temperature

In summary, the source of constant wind at 50 mph with a 1 meter opening poses a question on how to generate energy from it. By putting a cone on the wind source to reduce it to 0.5 meters, the wind velocity change can be calculated using the equation for conservation of mass. There is no need to factor in density or temperature changes unless the wind speed reaches Mach 0.3. A 10 degree difference in temperature will not affect fan performance significantly, so it depends on the end goal of using the air.
roger kryless
Imagine that i have a source of _constant_ wind. It travels, with negligible variance, at 50 mph. The problem is that at the accessible point, the source of the wind has an opening of only 1 meter across. (Basically, at this point, imagine a small wind tunnel).

The question is, how much energy can i generate from this source of wind (lets assume that the efficiency of any wind turbine i use is 30%). The standard equations can be used for this, i believe. But beyond this is where i get confused:

(1) imagine that i put a cone on the wind source, to reduce it to 0.5 meters across. Thereby increasing wind speed. How do i calculate the wind velocity change? Is this is a good thing to do / in theory/practice?
- will this increase the density of the air (do i need to factor that in)
- will this increase the temperature?

(2) imagine that the source of the wind was 10 degrees (F) hotter than the surrounding air. Does that help or hurt the performance? How can i use that advantageously? It may wind up that hotter air will hurt performance?

thanks for any advice.
rk

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not 100% sure what you are talking about earlier on with generating energy from your source of wind. However, I can give you some insight into the other problems.

In general, compressibility of air is not important until you get to about Mach 0.3. Since you are absolutely nowhere near that, you will not have to worry about density changes and you really won't have to worry about temperature changes either as a result of the contraction. It is really a pretty simple algebra problem. I don't know how familiar you are with fluid mechanics, but it is simply the conservation of mass. The mass going into your "cone" has to equal the mass coming out. It basically boils down to conservation of mass:

[tex]$\rho_{in} A_{in} V_{in} = \rho_{out} A_{out} V_{out}$[/tex]

Where[itex]$\rho$[/itex] is the density, [itex]A[/itex] is the duct area and [itex]V[/itex] is the fluid velocity. The subscripts just mean the inlet or outlet of the cone. Since there is no compressibility in this case, you know that [itex]$\rho_{in}=\rho_{out}$[/itex] so you are left with the simple equation:

[tex]$ V_{out}=V_{in} \frac{A_{in}}{A_{out}}$[/tex]

That should pretty much cover your question labeled (1).

For question (2), that depends on how you define performance. What are you trying to do with this air? In general, a 10 degree difference isn't going to do anything to your fan performance, so the only concern is your end goal, which you haven't told us about.

1. What is the relationship between wind and temperature?

Wind and temperature have an inverse relationship. As wind speed increases, temperature decreases. This is because wind carries away the heat from the surface, causing a cooling effect.

2. How does wind affect the shape of a narrow cone?

Wind can cause a narrowing cone to become more streamlined and pointed. This is due to the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as wind moves over an object, the pressure decreases and it creates a suction force that pulls the object towards the direction of the wind.

3. Can wind affect the temperature of a narrow cone?

Yes, wind can affect the temperature of a narrow cone. The faster the wind speed, the greater the cooling effect on the cone. This is because wind helps to carry away the heat from the surface of the cone, causing it to cool down.

4. How does wind affect the flow of heat in a narrow cone?

Wind can disrupt the flow of heat in a narrow cone. As wind moves over the cone, it creates turbulence which can mix the warm and cool air, disrupting the natural flow of heat. This can lead to changes in temperature distribution along the cone's surface.

5. Can wind speed affect the rate of temperature change in a narrow cone?

Yes, wind speed can affect the rate of temperature change in a narrow cone. The stronger the wind, the faster the temperature of the cone will change. This is because wind helps to carry away heat from the surface, causing the temperature to change more rapidly.