Finding 'k' for Continuous f(x) at x=2

• Thread starter ashleyk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, the function f(x) is defined as 2x+1 for values of x less than or equal to 2, and .5x + k for values of x greater than 2. To find the value of k that would make f(x) continuous at x=2, one must consider both the right and left hand limits. For the function to be continuous, the limit as x approaches 2 from the left must be equal to the limit as x approaches 2 from the right. By plugging in 2 for x in the first equation, we get 5, which must also be the value of the second equation at x=2. Thus, k must equal 4.5 for f(x)
ashleyk
Let f(x) be a function defined by:

f(x)= { 2x+1 for x (less than or equal to) 2
.5x + k for x (greater than) 2

A) For what value of 'k' will f(x) be continuous at x=2? Justify your answer.
B) Using the value of 'k' found in part A, determine whether f(x) is differentiable at x=2.

Any help on where to get started would be great. I think I have to plug in the 2 in the first equation...but I'm lost on what to do. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The definitions are usually a good place to start when you don't know what to do. What does it mean for this particular function to be continuous at 2?

and remember to think about both right and left hand limits in defining continutity.

And remember to make the distinction between right and left when discussing differentiability...

I think you got enough clues...:wink:

Daniel.

1. How do I find the value of 'k' for a continuous function at x=2?

To find the value of 'k' for a continuous function at x=2, you need to use the limit definition of continuity. Set up the limit as x approaches 2 for the given function and solve for 'k' by equating it to the value of the function at x=2. Once you have solved for 'k', check if the function is continuous at x=2 by plugging in the value of 'k' and verifying if the limit and function value match.

2. What is the significance of finding 'k' for a continuous function at x=2?

Finding 'k' for a continuous function at x=2 helps determine the exact value of the function at that particular point. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the function around the point x=2 and whether or not the function is continuous at that point.

3. Can I use any method to find 'k' for a continuous function at x=2?

No, you need to use the limit definition of continuity to find the value of 'k' for a continuous function at x=2. Other methods like the intermediate value theorem or graphical analysis cannot be used to find 'k' at a specific point.

4. Is it possible for a continuous function to have multiple values of 'k' at x=2?

Yes, it is possible for a continuous function to have multiple values of 'k' at x=2. This could happen if the function has multiple branches or is defined differently on either side of x=2. In such cases, both values of 'k' will satisfy the limit definition of continuity.

5. Can 'k' be a complex number for a continuous function at x=2?

Yes, 'k' can be a complex number for a continuous function at x=2. This is because continuity is defined for all real and complex numbers. However, it is important to check if the function is also defined for complex numbers at x=2 before considering a complex value for 'k'.