How Do I Simulate the Motion of Heated Charged Molecules?

In summary, the person is trying to simulate the motion of molecules when they are heated. They are unclear about which equations to use and are looking for help from other users. Some of the equations that may be used to describe the motion of molecules are Newton's equations, Einstein-Stokes equation, and Schrödinger equation. Lorentz force may also be involved.
raymound
hi
before anything don't blame me much cause I'm chemical Eng & don't know physics much!
I'm about to run a computer simulation which is strongly related to physics so I need your help.

I need to simulate the motion of molecules when I heat them up likely a heavy liquid
perhaps some equation like Einstein-Stokes but that one was for particles in a fluid.
or maybe Schrödinger equation?
I'm totally confused can you guys help me find out?

Science news on Phys.org

raymound said:
hi
before anything don't blame me much cause I'm chemical Eng & don't know physics much!
I'm about to run a computer simulation which is strongly related to physics so I need your help.

I need to simulate the motion of molecules when I heat them up likely a heavy liquid
perhaps some equation like Einstein-Stokes but that one was for particles in a fluid.
or maybe Schrödinger equation?
I'm totally confused can you guys help me find out?

Note to admins: This thread should probably be moved to a more appropriate section

It is unlikely that you need to use Schrodinger equation, or consider the quantum properties of the molecules ... at least not in the initial treatment. Check out the book, "Computer Simulations of Liquids" by Allen and Tildesley for a good review of the relevant techniques for classical simulations. In the meantime, can you give a little more information about your problem? For example, how do you want to represent your molecules? Will hard spheres work? Do they need to have shapes? Do you need to include an interaction potential between the molecules? Are there more than one kind of molecule in the fluid?

what is important for me is that the simulation should show the effect of heating on molecules motion well at least at a moderate accuracy the rest doesn't really matter much in this simulation.
I men for example if the hard sphere works better for liquid molecules motion on heating then that one is better.
and thanks for the book will try that

please some one help me.
at least name some of equations used to describe molecules motion.

raymound said:
what is important for me is that the simulation should show the effect of heating on molecules motion well at least at a moderate accuracy ...
That still doesn't tell us much. Regarding the quantum mechanical aspect, you may want to consider how the different modes are excited (e.g. compare the specific heat of a monatomic and diatomic gas).

raymound said:
please some one help me.
at least name some of equations used to describe molecules motion.

How about Newton's equations? Every particle will feel a force that is given by the gradient of the potential. Every particle will start out with a position and a momentum. Now, propagate the positions of all the molecules in time. That's all you need for the simulation. The devil is in the details however, and the functions you use to represent the intermolecular potentials are crucial.

What this should get across to you is that this is far from being a trivial problem ... molecular dynamics is *complicated* to simulate accurately using a computer program. It is possible that it is reasonable to make some simplifying assumptions in your application, but without more detail, it is very hard to guess what those assumptions might be.

Is part of this project writing the code yourself? In that case, the book I mentioned will be incredibly helpful.

I just found some applications for molecular dynamics simulation but they are for bio stuff.
I want to study lorentz force on their motion.
and yup If I have to I'll code the program by myself
and of course I don't want to study that motion on a super computer.
so I'll choose the simplest method or program if you know

raymound said:
I just found some applications for molecular dynamics simulation but they are for bio stuff.
I want to study lorentz force on their motion.
and yup If I have to I'll code the program by myself
and of course I don't want to study that motion on a super computer.
so I'll choose the simplest method or program if you know

Lorentz force? So these are *charged* molecules, and you are going to be applying a field to them? Are we talking about an ionic liquid here?

yup I'll have to use charged molecules and of course ions will be on my list.
consider this all my molecules will be charged + or - I mean they all will be unique

FAQ: How Do I Simulate the Motion of Heated Charged Molecules?

1. What is the purpose of simulating the motion of molecules?

The purpose of simulating the motion of molecules is to better understand how molecules behave and interact with each other. This can help in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and material science.

2. How is the motion of molecules simulated?

The motion of molecules is typically simulated using computer software that utilizes mathematical models and algorithms to predict the movements of molecules based on their properties and interactions.

3. What are the benefits of simulating the motion of molecules?

Simulating the motion of molecules allows scientists to study and predict the behavior of complex systems at a molecular level. It can also help in the development of new materials and medicines, and in understanding biological processes.

4. What factors affect the motion of molecules?

The motion of molecules can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules. The type and strength of molecular bonds and forces also play a significant role in determining their motion.

5. Are there any limitations to simulating the motion of molecules?

While simulating the motion of molecules can provide valuable insights, there are limitations to these simulations. They are based on simplified models and assumptions, and may not accurately represent real-world conditions. Additionally, the computational power and resources needed for these simulations can be a limiting factor.