What Happens When a Magnetic Field is Applied to a Gas in a Vacuum?

In summary: The value of B(e) and B(o) in neutral H atom according to QM model or current theory is not known. To calculate it, one would need to know the electron spin and orbital frequencies.
bobie
Gold Member
What happens if we apply a magnetic field to a gas in vacuum, (like H or He)?,
do the atoms get aligned like in ferromagnetic material and produce in their turn a strong magnetic field?,
if they don't, why so?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on which gas it is. Most of the gases are diamagnetic, some paramagnetic and ferromagnetic gases are very rare.

Likes 1 person
Can you give me an example of ferromagnetic gas? and what about H?
Since in a gas atoms are not bound (as in iron) what determines its reaction to a magnetic field?

Last edited:
UltrafastPED said:
Thanks for the interesting ling, Ultrafast, If I got it right alignment can occur at extremely low temperatures, because repulsive collisions between atoms are stronger than the magnetic force, and I suppose in laboratoty you cannot get a sufficiently strong magnetic field.

I hope you could explain a couple o obscure points
in your wiki article they say "The permanent moment generally is due to the spin of unpaired electrons in atomic or molecular electron orbitals (see Magnetic moment). "
- is the magnetism dependent only on the electron spin (which is very weak : [itex]\hbar[/itex]?
doesn't the B field produced by the standing wave ,which is a lot stronger, play any tole at all?
- In QM, I learned, the electron wave id 3-D, how can the electron spin be stuck only in one direction
in such model?
Thanks

Last edited:
Electron spin - the Pauli exclusion principle permits two electrons in the same "quantum state" = "orbital" if they have opposite spin.

The spin of an electron has an associated magnetic moment - thus the unpaired electrons are the most important source for magnetic fields at the atomic/molecular level.

Likes 1 person
UltrafastPED said:
The spin of an electron has an associated magnetic moment - ...
Thanks, ultrafast, I am thinking of H to take the simplest case

I meant:
yes, the spin does have a magnetic moment, [itex]\mu[/itex](e)
- does it have also an associated magnetic field B(e)?, and,
- does the magnetic field generated by the orbit B(o) and its associated magnetic moment [itex]\mu[/itex](o) play any role in the magnetization ?
Thanks again

UltrafastPED said:
Magnetic moment implies the existence of a magnetic field.
Both spin and orbit contribute
We know that in QM the value of the spin momentum L(e) and the value of the orbital momentum L(o)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_motion_(quantum)#Orbital_Angular_Momentum) are the same as in classical model = [itex]\hbar[/itex], the value of [itex]\mu[/itex]e is [itex]\hbar*2.0023[/itex] (ge), right?

What is the value of B(e) and B(o) in neutral H atom according to QM model or current theory? how do we calculate it?

FAQ: What Happens When a Magnetic Field is Applied to a Gas in a Vacuum?

What is magnetization of a gas?

Magnetization of a gas is the process of aligning the magnetic moments of the particles in a gas in a specific direction, creating a net magnetic field within the gas.

How does magnetization of a gas occur?

Magnetization of a gas can occur through various methods such as applying an external magnetic field, cooling the gas below its Curie temperature, or using spin-exchange collisions between atoms.

What is the significance of magnetization of a gas?

Magnetization of a gas has various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to detect the magnetic properties of tissues, in gas separation processes, and in the study of quantum mechanics.

What factors affect the magnetization of a gas?

The magnetization of a gas is affected by factors such as the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, the density and composition of the gas, and the temperature of the gas.

Can the magnetization of a gas be controlled?

Yes, the magnetization of a gas can be controlled by adjusting the external magnetic field strength and direction, as well as the temperature and composition of the gas. This allows for precise manipulation and measurement of the magnetic properties of the gas.