Is it considered lame to use a CAS when helping people in the DE forum?

• Thread starter clustro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cas Forum
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of people asking for help with solving ODEs on a forum. Some people tend to simply give the answer from a software program, which may be considered rude or unhelpful to those trying to learn. Others believe that it is still beneficial to see the form of the answer, even if it doesn't help with actually solving the problem. There is also a mention of not posting homework problems on the forum and the use of a blog for copying and pasting math symbols.
clustro
Hi there,

Many of the problems on this part of the forum simply boil down to "I don't know how to solve the ODE: <some strange ODE here>"

I kind of forgot how to solve many of these problems myself, so I've just been giving people the answer from matlab's dsolve function.

Is this considered rude? I would imagine most people are capable of this, so it might seem cheap.

I realize it doesn't help the person much if its for a class, since they need to show their work, but it at least let's them see the form of the right answer.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with that is, of course, that the "answer" isn't really what is wanted. Most of the time the point is to learn how to solve a specific kind of problem. Just seeing the answer, whether provided by a person or a machine doesn't really help.

Also, homework problems really should not be posted in this forum.

Post whatever problem you have here. I meant maths problem. If people feel like answering your problem then you are lucky. I personally learn quite a lot here from trying to answer other people problem. And further more I want to show off the number of post I have already submitted. :biggrin: This is my post No. 271.

Thanks Redbelly98 for your copy and paste maths symbols blog. Quite useful when we post in a forum without latex facility

I understand the desire to use tools and resources to solve problems efficiently. However, it is important to consider the purpose of the DE forum and the expectations of its participants. While using a CAS (Computer Algebra System) may provide a quick and accurate solution to a problem, it may not be the most helpful approach in this context. The purpose of the forum is to help people understand and learn how to solve differential equations, not just provide the correct answer. By simply giving the answer from a CAS, you are not helping the person develop their problem-solving skills or understanding of the concept. Additionally, it may be seen as lazy or unhelpful to simply provide the answer without any explanation or guidance.

That being said, there may be situations where using a CAS is appropriate, such as when the person is struggling with the basic concepts and needs a starting point. In these cases, it may be helpful to provide the answer and then offer some explanation or steps towards solving the problem manually.

In conclusion, while using a CAS may not be considered "lame," it may not be the most effective or appropriate approach in the DE forum. It is important to consider the purpose of the forum and the expectations of its participants in order to provide the best assistance possible.

1. Is using a CAS (Computer Algebra System) considered cheating in the DE (Differential Equations) forum?

No, using a CAS is not considered cheating in the DE forum. It is a tool that can assist in solving complex equations and can be a valuable resource for learning and understanding DE concepts.

2. Will using a CAS hinder my understanding of DE concepts?

It depends on how the CAS is used. If it is solely relied upon to solve equations without understanding the steps and reasoning behind the solution, then it may hinder understanding. However, if it is used as a supplement to aid in solving equations, it can actually enhance understanding.

3. Are there any guidelines for when it is appropriate to use a CAS in the DE forum?

Yes, it is generally accepted to use a CAS when attempting to solve more complex or time-consuming equations, but it is important to show your work and explain how the CAS was used in the solution. It is also important to not rely solely on the CAS and to try solving equations manually first.

4. Can using a CAS be beneficial for learning DE concepts?

Yes, using a CAS can be beneficial for learning DE concepts. It can help with visualizing and understanding the solutions to equations, and can also assist in solving more complex problems that may be too difficult to solve manually.

5. Is there a stigma against using a CAS in the science community?

No, there is no stigma against using a CAS in the science community. In fact, many scientists and researchers use CAS tools in their work to assist with complex calculations and equations. It is important to use the tool responsibly and not rely solely on it for solutions.