Using angles of 2 balls at time of collision for new directions

In summary: Therefore, by using the conservation of momentum equation and the initial velocity vector components of each object, you can find the angle of each object after a collision. In summary, to find the angle of each object after a collision on a frictionless surface, you can use the conservation of momentum equation and the initial velocity vector components of the objects. This will allow you to calculate the x and y components of the momentum for each object, which can then be used to determine the respective angle of the velocity vector.
Jordiston
If i have 2 circular objects like coins and their moving on a frictionless surface and i know their velocity angles mass, how can i find the angle of each object after they collide, an example

A is the first coin, B the second their masses are the same. X will be the x of a vector and Y the y part. if A's velocity vector was (4X, 0Y)
and B's is (-2X, 0Y) i know they would of course after a head on collision bounce back and continue to move across the X axis, and also swap speeds, so in this case i believe they would just swap velocity vectors.

but of course theirs many different angles and such they could collide and rarely would it be head on. and I am not sure how i would find the angle in any of those cases.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the best way to find the angle of each object after they collide would be to use the conservation of momentum equation. This equation states that the total momentum of the system is conserved before and after the collision. This means that the momentum of each object after the collision can be calculated using the initial momentums of each object. To calculate the angle of each object after the collision, you can use the velocity vector components and the mass of each object to calculate the x and y components of the momentum of the objects before and after the collision. Then you can use the ratio of the x and y components of the momentum of each object to calculate the angle of the respective velocity vector.

FAQ: Using angles of 2 balls at time of collision for new directions

1. How do you calculate the angle of collision between two balls?

The angle of collision between two balls can be calculated by using the law of conservation of momentum. This involves measuring the initial velocity and mass of each ball, and then using the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy to solve for the angle of collision.

2. How can the angle of collision be used to determine the new direction of the balls?

The angle of collision can be used to determine the new direction of the balls by using the law of reflection. This states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the balls collide) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the balls bounce off of each other). By knowing the angle of collision, we can calculate the angle of reflection and therefore the new direction of the balls.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of using angles of collision for determining new directions?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of using angles of collision for determining new directions. These include the initial velocity and mass of the balls, the surface they are colliding on, and any external forces that may be acting on the balls. In addition, human error in measuring the angles or using incorrect equations could also affect the accuracy.

4. Can the angle of collision be used for any type of collision between two balls?

The angle of collision can be used for any type of collision between two balls, as long as the law of conservation of momentum and the law of reflection can be applied. This includes elastic and inelastic collisions, as well as collisions on various surfaces such as flat, rough, or curved surfaces.

5. How does the angle of collision relate to the concept of momentum in physics?

The angle of collision is directly related to the concept of momentum in physics. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a collision between two balls, the angle of collision can affect the momentum of each ball, which in turn affects the direction and speed of the balls after the collision.