Use Simpson's Rule to approximate an integral

I'll help you understand the problem.In summary, the conversation is about using Simpson's Rule to estimate the value of an integral with given data in a table. The person providing the summary clarifies that the function given in the table is actually "f(x)" and not "y" and offers to help the other person understand the problem.
beanryu
Use Simpson's Rule and all the data in the following table to estimate the value of the integral

S ydx

S=integral sign

x -4 -3 -2 -1 0 1 2
y 0 -4 -8 -9 1 5 -7

Physics news on Phys.org
the function provided doesn't even fit with the data in the table

wut the hell is this?!

Try reading the problem again. "The function provided doesn't even fit with the data in the table" isn't true- they don't give you a function except through the data.
You are asked to use Simpson's rule to integrate
[tex]\int_{-4}^2 f(x)dx[/tex]
where f(x) is given by the table. I just substituted "f(x)" for "y" because I think you were mistaking it for "x".

FAQ: Use Simpson's Rule to approximate an integral

1. What is Simpson's Rule and how does it approximate an integral?

Simpson's Rule is a numerical method used to approximate the value of a definite integral. It works by dividing the interval of integration into smaller subintervals and using a quadratic polynomial to approximate the curve within each subinterval. The area under the curve is then approximated by summing the areas of these quadratic polynomials.

2. When should I use Simpson's Rule?

Simpson's Rule is most effective when the function being integrated is smooth and continuous. It is also more accurate than other numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or midpoint rule, when the interval of integration is larger.

3. How accurate is Simpson's Rule?

Simpson's Rule is a second-order method, meaning that it has an error of O(h^4) where h is the width of each subinterval. This means that the error decreases as h decreases, making Simpson's Rule more accurate than first-order methods like the trapezoidal rule.

4. Can Simpson's Rule be used for any type of integral?

No, Simpson's Rule can only be applied to definite integrals. It cannot be used for improper integrals or integrals with infinitely oscillating functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Simpson's Rule?

One limitation of Simpson's Rule is that it requires an even number of subintervals. It also may not work well for functions with sharp corners or discontinuities. In these cases, using a smaller h value or a different numerical method may be more effective.

Back