How can I simplify these integration problems using trigonometric substitutions?

In summary: In each case, you need to figure out how to change the given integral into one of the basic forms above.
Odyssey
(1) [tex]\alpha(t-t_{0})=\int_{R_{0}}^{R(\Theta)}\frac{du}{u\sqrt{a^ 2-u^2}} [/tex]

(2) [tex]\beta(t-t_{0})=\int_{R_{0}}^{R(\Theta)}\frac{du}{u\sqrt{u^ 2+b}} [/tex]

(3) [tex]\beta(t-t_{0})=\int_{R_{0}}^{R(\Theta)}\frac{du}{u\sqrt{u^ 2-b}} [/tex]

Should I use trig subs? If so, what should my "u" be? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
i've not done integrals with the limits and equalities such as you have posted, but, the definite integrals are easy enough.

use the trig identities sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1

for the first problem, let a = u sin x, da = u cos x
from there, you can see that you can factor out a u^2 in the radical sign. you are left with sin^2 x - 1, which equals cos^2 x. the square root of cos^2 x is cos x.
now you should have definite integral of 1/(sin^2 x cos x)
use power reduction to simpliy sin^2 x in terms of cos. i got to go to class now, sorry. if nobody has gotten to it in 4 hours from now, i'll be back. and also learn the tex commands so this is readable

for the first one use [tex]u=asin(x)[/tex] or [tex]u=acos(x)[/tex]
second one [tex]u=b^{1/2}tan(x)[/tex]
third [tex]u=b^{1/2}sec(x)[/tex]

you must be very carefull with the sign of the functions thoug, remember that
[tex](x^2)^{1/2}=|x|[/tex]

thank you!

In general, if you see [itex]\srqt{1- x^2}[/itex] you should immediately think "cos2= 1- sin2".

If you see [itex]\sqrt{1+ x^2}[/itex] you should immediately think "1+ tan2= sec2".

If you see [itex]\sqrt{x^2- 1}[/itex] you should immediately think "sec2- 1= tan2".

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems related to finding the total amount or accumulation of a quantity over a period of time or distance.

2. What are the different types of integration?

There are two main types of integration: definite and indefinite. Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the integral, while indefinite integration involves finding a function whose derivative is the original function.

3. What is the process of solving an integration problem?

To solve an integration problem, you first need to identify the function you want to integrate and determine the limits of integration. Then, you can use integration rules and techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitutions, to solve the integral.

4. How is integration used in real-life applications?

Integration has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force, find the center of mass of an object, or determine the average value of a function over a given interval.

5. Can integration be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, integration can be solved using software or calculators. Many mathematical software programs, such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha, have built-in functions for solving integrals. Additionally, most scientific calculators have integration capabilities that can be used to solve simpler integration problems.