Force & acceleration equation

In summary, while working on a problem in special relativity, the conversation revolves around an equation involving force, acceleration, and velocity at relativistic speeds. The speaker is trying to understand the equation and its implications for the direction of force and acceleration. They apply the equation to a specific case and conclude that the x component of acceleration must be zero. However, when they continue with this approach, it leads to a complex differential equation that may not be appropriate for the level of the book.
mmwave
While working on a problem in special relativity I ran into the following equation and am trying to understand it before going on. It was accompanied by the vague statement that at relativisitic speeds, force & acceleration aren't necessarily in the same direction.

[tex] \vec{F} = m_{o}\gamma \vec{a} + m_{o} \vec{u} \gamma^{3}(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{u}) / c^{2}[/tex]

where
[tex] \gamma \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2}}
[/tex]

To understand this, I apply it to the case where
[tex] \vec{F} = eE_{o} \hat{y}[/tex] and [tex]u(t=0) = u_{o} \hat{x}[/tex] and [tex]u_{x}(t=0)[/tex] is nearly equal to c.

Now, looking at the x and y components, since the left side has only y component, so must the right side. Therefore the coefficients of [tex] \hat{x} [/tex] must be zero which gives me the following equation:

[tex] a_{x} + \gamma^{2}u_{x}a_{x}/c^{2} + \gamma^{2}u_{y}a_{y}/c^{2} = 0 [/tex] with solution [tex]a_{x} = -\gamma^{2}u_{y}a_{y}/c^{2}* \frac {1}
{ (1+\gamma^{2}u_{x}/c^{2})}
[/tex]

question: Is this the right approach? am I right that the x component must vanish? Notice that for the relativistic case, even though the x component F is zero, there is still an x component to the acceleration.

I like the sign of ax because it should be negative (the x component of u must decrease as the y component increases since the speed must be less than c) and as c goes to infinity (classical case), ax goes to zero. To do this, there must be a negative x component of the acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I carried on with this method, I got a mess! substituting my expression for ax into the y component gave me a nonlinear differential equation involving both ux and uy and their derivatives. This is way to advanced for the book so I must be using the wrong approach.

Your approach is correct. The x-component of the force, eEo, is only present on the left side of the equation, so it must also be present on the right side. This means that the coefficient of the x-component on the right side must be zero in order for the equation to balance. This results in the equation you derived for ax, which does indeed show that there is a non-zero x-component of acceleration even though the x-component of force is zero.

As for the sign of ax, your reasoning is also correct. The x-component of velocity, ux, decreases as the y-component, uy, increases, so the x-component of acceleration must be negative in order to maintain the overall direction of motion. And as c goes to infinity, the relativistic effects become negligible and the equation reduces to the classical case where ax goes to zero.

Overall, it's important to understand that in special relativity, force and acceleration are not necessarily in the same direction, and this equation shows how they are related at relativistic speeds. Keep in mind that this is just one example and the equation can take on different forms depending on the specific problem at hand.

What is the equation for force and acceleration?

The equation for force and acceleration is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

How do you calculate force and acceleration?

Force and acceleration can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F represents force in Newtons, m represents mass in kilograms, and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared.

What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

The relationship between force and acceleration is directly proportional. This means that as force increases, acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

Does the direction of force affect acceleration?

Yes, the direction of force does affect acceleration. A force in the same direction as the acceleration will result in a positive acceleration, while a force in the opposite direction will result in a negative acceleration.

How is the force and acceleration equation used in real life?

The force and acceleration equation is used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the force needed to move an object, determining the acceleration of a car or airplane, and understanding the forces acting on an object in motion. It is also used in fields such as engineering and physics to design and analyze structures and machines.