The normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow supgroup

• Thread starter Niall101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses trying to prove the equation N(N(P)) = N(P) and how the fact that P is a p-Sylow subgroup can provide information. The conversation also mentions the idea of proving the equation by showing that one subset is equal to the other and both have the same cardinality. The possibility of using the normalizer of P and the fact that P may be normal in H is also mentioned as a potential approach to proving the equation.
Niall101
Im trying to prove N(N(P)) = N(P)

So N(P) = set oh h where h^-1Ph = p

Then N(N(P)) = k where k^-1hk = h

the fact that p is a p sylow subgroup gives me what information? I am unsure.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I guess if you can prove that one is a subset of the other, and both of them have the same cardinality, then they are equal.

Do you see how you can prove this?

Not really sorry. Both are subgroups of G yes?

If I let H = the normalizer of P
Can I say P is normal in H and that as all sylow subgroups are conjugate H contains no other sylow subgroups then if N(N(P)) moves P somewhere else then there would be 2 P sylow subgroups in H?

Note: Havent been told that P is normal in HThanks very much for you reply

Last edited:
If P is the only subgroup of H, then P is normal in H

Thanks! So I can do it this way then with that result.

FAQ: The normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow supgroup

1. What is the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup?

The normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup is the largest subgroup of a group G that contains the p-sylow subgroup and is normal in G. It is denoted by NG(P), where P is the p-sylow subgroup of G.

2. What is the significance of the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup?

The normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup plays a crucial role in understanding the structure of a finite group. It helps in determining the number of p-sylow subgroups in a group and their conjugacy classes. It also provides information about the group's normal subgroups and quotient groups.

3. How is the normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup related to the original subgroup?

The normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup, denoted by NG(NG(P)), is a subgroup of the normalizer of P. It is also the largest normal subgroup of G that contains P. This relationship is known as the "normalizer tower theorem."

4. Can the normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup be equal to the original subgroup?

Yes, in certain cases, the normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup can be equal to the original subgroup. This happens when the p-sylow subgroup is self-normalizing, meaning that it is equal to its own normalizer. In this case, the normalizer of the normalizer is also the original subgroup.

5. How can the normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup be calculated?

The normalizer of the normalizer of a p-sylow subgroup can be calculated by first finding the normalizer of the p-sylow subgroup and then finding the normalizer of that normalizer. This process can be repeated multiple times to find the normalizer of the normalizer. Alternatively, the normalizer can also be calculated using group theory techniques such as the Sylow theorems and the centralizer of a subgroup.