What is the Ionisation Energy of Hydrogen in KJ mol-1?

In summary, the equation should use the largest frequency, but the calculation behind uses the value of 11.1 x 106 m-1.
crays
Hi, I've a question that shows me a diagram for wavelength, there's 4 of them

11.1 x 106
10.5 x 106
9.7 x 106
8.4 x 106

then it asked me to determine the ionisation energy of hydrogen in KJ mol-1 by using the above spectrum.

From what i know
E = hf
f = c/lambda
lambda being the wavelength

The equation should be using the largest frequency so i should pick the shortest wavelength right? which is 8.4 x 106

But the calculation behind uses the value of 11.1 x 106 . Can anyone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the electron of a hydrogen atom has 13.6 eV less energy than a motionless electron infinitely far from the nucleus. Thus, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionization_energy" needed to set this electron free is supposed to equal 13.6 eV or more but not less. So, among the wavelengths you've stated, which one would provide the sufficient energy needed to set it free?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the units for wavelength?

crays said:
11.1 x 106
10.5 x 106
9.7 x 106
8.4 x 106

I think these numbers are to the power of -6!

chemisttree said:
What are the units for wavelength?
Good question. crays, can you tell us what units are used for wavelength in the problem statement.

drizzle said:
I think these numbers are to the power of -6!
This does not answer the question about units, but if it's true than we need crays to clarify whether the exponents are +6 or -6.

Redbelly98 said:
This does not answer the question about units, but if it's true than we need crays to clarify whether the exponents are +6 or -6.

I wasn't answering chemisttree's Q, but I think it's meters in this case, probably.

So sorry for the late reply, it is written

wave number, v (x 106 m-1) by m-1 i assume it is wave length.

From my book it says that frequency is equals to c/lambda but not proportional to. Clarification please. cause if its wavelength, it should be h x 1/wavelength x c.

Wave number is 1/λ, i.e. the reciprocal of the wavelength. That is why the units are m-1 instead of m.

crays said:
The equation should be using the largest frequency so i should pick the shortest wavelength right? which is 8.4 x 106

But the calculation behind uses the value of 11.1 x 106 . Can anyone explain?
The frequency is simply c·(1/λ), or c-times-wavenumber. Hence the largest frequency goes with the largest wavenumber, 11.1 x 106 m-1.

EDIT:
From my book it says that frequency is equals to c/lambda but not proportional to. Clarification please. cause if its wavelength, it should be h x 1/wavelength x c.
The frequency is c/λ. The photon energy is hc/λ = h x frequency.

If you examine the units in h, c, and λ, you'll find the expressions in the above paragraph work out to s-1 for frequency and J for energy, just as they should.

Thanks a lot for clarification and the help :)

What is ionisation energy?

Ionisation energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of a positively charged ion.

Why is the ionisation energy of hydrogen important?

The ionisation energy of hydrogen is important because it is the simplest and most abundant element in the universe, making it a fundamental building block for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

How is the ionisation energy of hydrogen measured?

The ionisation energy of hydrogen is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) using spectroscopic techniques.

What factors affect the ionisation energy of hydrogen?

The main factor affecting the ionisation energy of hydrogen is the distance between the electron and the nucleus. The closer the electron is to the nucleus, the higher the ionisation energy will be. Additionally, the number of protons in the nucleus and the shielding effect of inner electrons can also impact the ionisation energy.

How does the ionisation energy of hydrogen compare to other elements?

The ionisation energy of hydrogen is relatively low compared to other elements, as it only has one electron. However, it is higher than the ionisation energy of helium, which has a full outer electron shell. The ionisation energy of hydrogen also increases as you move down the periodic table, as the number of protons and inner electrons increases.