Solving Implicit Equations for y in Terms of x

In summary, solving implicit equations for y in terms of x involves using the quadratic or cubic formula or completing the square to express the function in the form y=f(x). This skill may be useful in AP Calculus AB, but overly complex implicit equations are unlikely to be encountered in this course.
Fuz
How do you go about solving implicit equations for y in terms of x that look like these?

y2 + yx = 1

and

y3 + yx = 1

or even more complicated implicit equations.

I'm taking AP Calculus AB this year and am just curious how this is done.

Here are the solutions from Wolframalpha:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y^2+%2B+yx+%3D+1
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y^3+%2B+xy+%3D+1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You just need to play with the function until you find an answer. Use the usual rules of arithmetic. You aren't going to encounter any situations in AP Calculus where you would need to solve a hugely complex implicit function for y.

Can you show me the steps for one of them? I've already tried solving them myself, but got nowhere.

Fuz said:
Can you show me the steps for one of them? I've already tried solving them myself, but got nowhere.

By solve I assume you mean to express the implicit function in the form y=f(x). Well, for the first you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square (it's basically equivalent) and for the second you'll need to use the cubic formula.

Solving implicit equations for y in terms of x can be a challenging task, but there are a few strategies that can be used to approach these types of equations. The first step is to rearrange the equation so that all terms containing y are on one side of the equation and all terms containing x are on the other side. In the given examples, this would result in the equations being rearranged to y2 + yx - 1 = 0 and y3 + yx - 1 = 0.

From here, there are a few different methods that can be used to solve for y in terms of x. One approach is to use the quadratic formula for the first equation, which can be applied to equations of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0. For the second equation, a cubic formula can be used, which is a bit more complex but can still be applied.

Another method is to use numerical methods, such as Newton's method or the bisection method, to approximate the solutions for y in terms of x. These methods involve plugging in different values for x and using them to find the corresponding values for y, gradually getting closer to the exact solutions.

In more complicated implicit equations, it may be necessary to use a combination of these methods or even more advanced techniques, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of elimination. It's important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

In calculus, you will also learn about implicit differentiation, which can be used to find the derivative of y with respect to x in implicit equations. This can also be a useful tool in solving for y in terms of x, as it can help determine the general shape of the graph and any critical points.

Overall, solving implicit equations for y in terms of x requires careful analysis, a good understanding of algebraic techniques, and the use of appropriate methods for the specific equation at hand. Practice and familiarity with these methods will help you become more comfortable with solving these types of equations.

What is an implicit equation?

An implicit equation is an equation that does not explicitly solve for one variable in terms of the other. In other words, there is no single expression for one variable in terms of the other variable.

Why do we need to solve for y in terms of x in implicit equations?

Solving for y in terms of x allows us to graph the equation and find specific points on the curve. It also helps us understand the relationship between the two variables.

What are some methods for solving implicit equations for y in terms of x?

There are several methods for solving implicit equations, including implicit differentiation, substitution, and using a graphing calculator. Each method may be more useful depending on the complexity of the equation.

What does it mean to "solve for y" in an implicit equation?

Solving for y means finding an expression for y in terms of x so that we can graph the equation or plug in specific values for x and find the corresponding value for y.

Can all implicit equations be solved for y in terms of x?

No, not all implicit equations can be solved for y in terms of x. Some equations may be too complex or have multiple solutions, making it impossible to find a single expression for y in terms of x.