How many grams of KClO3 are needed to produce 50g of O2?

• Thread starter Reema
  • Start date
Calculating the grams of a substance needed to produce a given mass of another substanceIn summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a decomposition reaction that involves 2KClO3 and 3O2. The final answer is 127 grams, but the individual attempting to understand the problem had trouble with the steps and could not copy them. They attempted to work out the solution using a ratio, but made mistakes with the molar mass and the given numbers. They were advised to look into stoichiometric calculations and calculating the grams of a substance needed to produce a given mass of another substance.
Reema
We had this question in the lecture .. but I couldn'nt copy the steps I was trying to understand but I dind'nt looool.

How many grams of KClO3 are required to produce 50 g of 02 from the following decomposition reaction?

2KClO3 ---> 2kClO3 + 3O2

the final answer is 127

I tried to work it out by myself by making a ratio

molar mass of 2KClO3 = 148.8 and for 3O2 = 48

grams of 02 = 3*50 = 150 grams
grams of of 2KClO3 = x

x\148 : 150\48

x=265

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing strange things.

Reema said:
2KClO3 ---> 2kClO3 + 3O2

Huh? I guess it should be KCl on the right.

molar mass of 2KClO3 = 148.8 and for 3O2 = 48

What do you mean by "molar mass of 3O2"? No such animal. There is a molar mass of O2. It is not 48.

grams of 02 = 3*50 = 150 grams

No, 50 grams of O2. This is a number given in the question.

I am not even going to try to understand your ratio, as numbers you put in it are already off.

Try these pages:

stoichiometric calculations in general

stoichiometric calculations using ratios

FAQ: How many grams of KClO3 are needed to produce 50g of O2?

1. How much KClO3 is needed to produce 50g of O2?

The molar mass of KClO3 is 122.55 g/mol. To produce 50g of O2, we need 50/32 = 1.56 moles of O2. Therefore, we need 1.56 moles of KClO3, which is equal to 1.56 x 122.55 = 191.21 g of KClO3.

2. What is the chemical equation for the reaction of KClO3 to produce O2?

The chemical equation is 2KClO3(s) → 2KCl(s) + 3O2(g).

3. Are there any other products formed during this reaction?

Yes, potassium chloride (KCl) is also formed in addition to oxygen gas.

4. How can we determine the yield of this reaction?

To determine the yield of the reaction, we would need to perform the experiment and measure the amount of oxygen gas produced. This can then be compared to the theoretical yield (calculated using stoichiometry) to determine the percentage yield.

5. Is this reaction exothermic or endothermic?

This reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases heat energy. This can be observed by the production of oxygen gas and the formation of a white solid (potassium chloride) as the reaction progresses.

Back