Calculation of equilibrium using fugacities

In summary, in thermo, there is a clever algorithm that uses "(fL/fv)-1" to determine if the pure compound is at equilibrium based on varying pressure with constant temperature. This calculation approaches 0 when the fugacities of the liquid and vapor are equal, indicating chemical equilibrium. The numerator in this calculation does not matter in vapor-liquid equilibrium.
Notwen7
Its been a while since I took thermo. I was looking through my notes regarding fugacity at chemical equilibrium. There was a clever algorithm used to determine whether the pure compound was at equilibrium based upon the varying pressure with a constant temperature. It had the calculation "(fL/fv)-1" display values, fL being fugacity of the liquid and fv being the fugacity of the vapor. After several inputs of different pressures this calculation will approach 0. Now if "(fL/fv)-1" equals zero then fugacities are equal yielding a chemical equilibrium.

Now if my memory serves there is a reason why we use "(fL/fv)-1" in lieu of "(fv/fL)-1". I am not sure why fL has to be in the numerator. If someone can assist me or show me the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org

FAQ: Calculation of equilibrium using fugacities

1. What is fugacity and how is it related to equilibrium?

Fugacity is a measure of the escaping tendency of a component in a mixture. In equilibrium calculations, it is used to determine the partial pressure or concentration of a component in a system. The relationship between fugacity and equilibrium is that at equilibrium, the fugacity of each component is equal in all phases.

2. How is fugacity different from pressure?

Fugacity is different from pressure because it takes into account the non-ideal behavior of a component in a mixture. Pressure is a macroscopic property that describes the total force exerted by a gas on its container, while fugacity is a thermodynamic concept that describes the escaping tendency of a component in a mixture.

3. How is fugacity calculated?

Fugacity can be calculated using various equations, such as the Van der Waals equation or the Redlich-Kwong equation. These equations take into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and molecular interactions to determine the fugacity of a component in a mixture.

4. What is the significance of fugacity in chemical processes?

Fugacity is important in chemical processes because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of components in a mixture, especially in non-ideal conditions. It is also used in the design and optimization of industrial processes, such as distillation and phase separation, to ensure efficient and safe operations.

5. How is equilibrium determined using fugacities?

Equilibrium can be determined using fugacities by comparing the fugacity of each component in a system at different conditions. At equilibrium, the fugacities of all components must be equal in all phases. This allows us to calculate the equilibrium composition of a mixture and predict phase behavior in a system.