Solving for a factor in a large sum

• Thread starter IsomaDan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving for a factor within a sum using a formula with a polynomial of order N. The suggestion is to use Newton's method, which can easily compute the derivative of the function analytically. The conversation also mentions that the polynomial is easier to solve using numerical techniques, and provides a link to the solutions for N=4.
IsomaDan
Dear everyone.

First of all Merry Xmas, when everybody gets to that.

I have a problem solving for a factor within a sum.

My formula looks as follows:

T = Æ© It * A0t

The sum runs from t=1 to N, and the aim is to solve for A0, but all my calculations end up extremely messy.

All the best,

Dan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is It?

Thanks for the reponse.

That is the t'th observation of I. They have no well-defined relation to t. In other words; just a bunch of numbers.

In that case, your equation seems to be a general polynomial of order N. I guess N is probably fairly large (as in... not 2 or 3). You will need to use some numerical method to find roots of the function f(A0) = Æ© It * A0t - T.

I suggest Newton's method, it should be convenient to implement, because you can easily compute the derivative of the function analytically.

Actually it is not that large (N, that is), it is just that it varies a lot from case to case and hence I have written it as a sum.

Thanks so much for the response. I will try to see if it gets me any further!

And just to be clear. The A_0 has t as their exponent. It is not a subscript!

If N is equal to 3 or 4, the polynomial is still solvable by analytic methods, but in general it is easier to use a numerical technique like Newton's Method (which is very easy to program if you choose to do that).

The N = 3 case isn't this bad, but consider the solutions for N = 4:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Quartic_Formula.svg

Of course, if you know ##a## is a solution to the polynomial, you can long divide by ##(x-a)## to reduce the degree by 1.

1. What is the purpose of solving for a factor in a large sum?

The purpose of solving for a factor in a large sum is to break down a complex equation or problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for easier understanding and manipulation of the equation.

2. How do you identify the factors in a large sum?

To identify the factors in a large sum, you can look for common terms or patterns in the equation. You can also try to simplify the equation by factoring out common factors or using the distributive property.

3. What techniques can be used to solve for a factor in a large sum?

Some techniques that can be used to solve for a factor in a large sum include factoring, using algebraic manipulation, and using the quadratic formula. It may also be helpful to use trial and error or guess and check methods.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for a factor in a large sum?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for a factor in a large sum include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not factoring correctly, and making arithmetic errors. It is also important to carefully check your work and ensure that all steps are accounted for.

5. How can solving for a factor in a large sum be applied in real-life situations?

Solving for a factor in a large sum can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, determining optimal product pricing, and solving engineering or physics problems. It can also be useful in solving equations in financial or business settings.