Here it comes Need some general advice on presenting physics ideas

In summary, a high school student will be presenting their idea on solving dark matter mass at the Rutgers ASI general information meeting. They have no formal physics training but have self-studied and have a good understanding of topology and mathematics. They are seeking advice and are confident in their ideas, but are also prepared for criticism and the challenge of presenting their ideas in a professional setting. They are also advised to be open to feedback and to prepare handouts for the audience.
Frogeyedpeas
Hello everyone, I am a high school student and am attending the Rutgers ASI general information meeting this coming sunday,

I have (unrelated to the program) been writing an idea on solving some amount of dark matter mass through the use of topology and GR and my physics teacher likes my idea so much that he has scheduled me to present my ideas in front of a group of professors at the meeting.

That being said I have never formally presented a science theory, let alone in a professional setting such as this so I would be willing to ask for as much advice as you can give me when it comes to this sort of thing. My background education is as follows:

No formal physics training (at all) however I have self studied and learned quite a bit on my own and can deal with SR and GR both conceptually as well as mathematically...

Mathematics education is multivariable calculus, partial differential equations, some linear algebra, a good intuitive understanding of topology (no formal training)

So I'm probably the least qualified student to speak and theorize on the topic yet I find that I am very confident on the correctness of what I have written. In terms of presenting I have presented all sorts of things before but never have I done something so (real) I suppose.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frogeyedpeas said:
So I'm probably the least qualified student to speak and theorize on the topic yet I find that I am very confident on the correctness of what I have written. In terms of presenting I have presented all sorts of things before but never have I done something so (real) I suppose.

The best advice is to be less confident about what you have written, and look at presenting your ideas as a chance for people to try to knock them into the ground with the goal of improving them.

Academic presentations tend to be like boxing matches, and since you are new, you may find the people looking at your ideas to pull their punches since it can be quite painful for a newbie to enter the boxing ring for the first time. On the other hand, your advisor thinks that your ideas are good enough to present, and if during the presentation, you find that people are being extremely negative and critical, that's a sign that people think that you and your ideas are good enough to stand a good punching.

One other thing that may surprise you is how difficult it is to explain an idea. You may also find yourself explaining things that are obvious to you, but realize what is obvious to you isn't obvious to everyone else.

The other thing is to to prepare handouts so that people can put notes.

Last edited:

1. How can I make my physics presentation more engaging?

To make your presentation more engaging, you can use visual aids such as diagrams, graphs, and videos to help illustrate your ideas. You can also incorporate interactive activities or demonstrations to involve your audience and make the concepts more tangible.

2. How much technical jargon should I use in my presentation?

It is important to strike a balance between using technical jargon and making your presentation understandable for a general audience. Use technical terms when necessary, but be sure to explain them in simpler terms for those who may not be familiar with them.

3. How can I effectively communicate complex physics concepts?

One effective way to communicate complex physics concepts is to break them down into smaller, more digestible parts. You can also use analogies or real-life examples to help your audience better understand the concepts. Visual aids and interactive activities can also help in conveying complex ideas.

4. How should I structure my physics presentation?

A good structure for a physics presentation would be to start with an attention-grabbing introduction, followed by a brief overview of the topic and its relevance. Then, present your main points in a logical and organized manner, and end with a strong conclusion that summarizes your key points and leaves a lasting impression on your audience.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a physics presentation?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a physics presentation include using too much text on slides, speaking too quickly or too softly, and not engaging with the audience. It is also important to avoid oversimplifying complex concepts, as well as using incorrect or outdated information. Being well-prepared and practicing your presentation beforehand can help you avoid these mistakes.