Back To School: Balancing Work and Resuming My BS in Mechanical Engineering

• Thread starter Williams.235
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has decided to go back to college after a 2-year break to work towards their BS in Mechanical Engineering. They will be attending a local community college while working full-time and plan to take 2-3 classes per quarter. Others have successfully obtained a degree while working, but it requires determination and possibly a flexible employer. The speaker is seeking advice and success stories.
Williams.235
I have decided to take the plunge. I am going back to college after 2 years out of school to resume work on my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I had to leave college during my 2nd year due to financial concerns and since then have been working full time. I plan to keep working full time during my studies.

I'll be attending a local community college taking chemistry and college trigonometry then will jump into calculus.

What do you guys think? Is obtaining this degree possible while working a 40 hour/week job? I'm planning to take 2 maybe 3 classes at a time (school is quarter based). Any advice or success stories are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Williams -

Yes, it's possible, but you have to be very determined. I got my BS in physics going part-time - 9-1/2 years. Some of the time I worked full-time, but most of the time it was 30 to 35 hours a week. There was absolutely no time for any sort of social life :cry: !

If possible, only take one lab class per term - labs really eat up time.

Also, it really helps if your employer is somewhat flexible. There will be times when your assignments take a lot longer than you planned, so if you can adjust your schedule on a moment's notice it's a huge help.

Good luck!

Congratulations on your decision to go back to school and pursue your BS in Mechanical Engineering! It takes a lot of determination and hard work to balance work and studies, but it is definitely possible. Many students have successfully completed their degrees while working full-time, and it is a great way to gain valuable experience and apply what you learn in the classroom to your job.

My advice would be to prioritize your time and stay organized. Make a schedule for yourself, including time for studying, work, and any other commitments you may have. It may also be helpful to talk to your employer about your decision to go back to school and see if they can offer any support or flexibility in your work schedule.

Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Whether it's from your professors, classmates, or even a tutor, seeking assistance can make a big difference in your academic success.

As for success stories, there are many people who have successfully balanced work and studies and have gone on to have successful careers in engineering. It may be challenging at times, but with dedication and hard work, you can achieve your goals.

Best of luck on your journey and I wish you all the best in your studies!

FAQ: Back To School: Balancing Work and Resuming My BS in Mechanical Engineering

1. What are some tips for balancing work and resuming my BS in Mechanical Engineering?

Balancing work and school can be a challenging task, but here are some tips to help you manage your time effectively:

• Create a schedule and stick to it. Set aside specific blocks of time for work, school, and personal activities.
  • Prioritize your tasks and focus on completing the most important ones first.
  • Communicate with your employer and professors about your schedule and any potential conflicts.
  • Utilize tools such as calendars and to-do lists to stay organized.
  • Take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.

2. How can I maintain my academic performance while working?

Maintaining a high level of academic performance while working can be challenging, but here are some suggestions:

• Set realistic goals and expectations for yourself.
  • Stay organized and manage your time effectively.
  • Attend all classes and actively participate in discussions.
  • Take advantage of resources such as tutoring and study groups.
  • Communicate with your professors about any potential conflicts or concerns.

3. Can I still participate in extracurricular activities while balancing work and school?

Yes, it is possible to participate in extracurricular activities while balancing work and school. However, it is important to prioritize your responsibilities and make sure you have enough time for everything. Here are some tips:

• Choose extracurricular activities that align with your academic and career goals.
  • Communicate with your employer and professors about your schedule and any potential conflicts.
  • Be selective and do not take on too many extracurricular activities.
  • Make sure to still prioritize your academic responsibilities.

4. How can I manage my stress while balancing work and school?

Balancing work and school can be overwhelming, but there are ways to manage your stress levels:

• Practice self-care and make time for activities you enjoy.
  • Exercise regularly to reduce stress and improve your overall well-being.
  • Communicate with your employer and professors about your workload and any potential conflicts.
  • Utilize stress-management techniques such as deep breathing and meditation.
  • Reach out for support from friends, family, or a therapist if needed.

5. How can I make sure I am not neglecting my personal life while balancing work and school?

Balancing work and school can take up a lot of time, but it is important to make sure you are not neglecting your personal life. Here are some suggestions:

• Prioritize your tasks and make time for personal activities and relationships.
  • Set boundaries and learn to say no to extra responsibilities if they will interfere with your personal life.
  • Take breaks and make time for self-care.
  • Remember that your personal life is just as important as your academic and work responsibilities.