4 points and distance to middle of square

In summary, to find the distance to the middle of a square with sides of length A, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the diagonal, which is A√2. The distance from any vertex to the middle is then half of that, or A/√2. This can also be written as (√2)A/2.
th3plan
I forgot, but how can i get distance to middle of a square let's consider sides are all called A. So do i take a^2+a^2=r^2 and 2a^2=r^2 so r= radical(2)r , but since we want half of that i multiply that by 1/2

This correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
th3plan said:
I forgot, but how can i get distance to middle of a square let's consider sides are all called A. So do i take a^2+a^2=r^2 and 2a^2=r^2 so r= radical(2)r , but since we want half of that i multiply that by 1/2

This correct ?
It would help if you told us what "a" is! Is it the length of each side? If so then, by the Pythagorean theorem, the diagonal has length [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ a^2}= a\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Since the middle of the square is at the center of the diagonal, the distance from any vertex to the middle is [itex]a\sqrt{2}/2[/itex]

(Your equation "r= radical(2)r" should be, of course, "r= radical(2)a". I suspect that was a typo.)

Hi th3plan! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :smile:)
th3plan said:

This correct ?

Yup! :biggrin:

and (√2)a/2 = a/√2. :wink:

1. What is the significance of 4 points and the distance to the middle of a square in scientific research?

The concept of 4 points and the distance to the middle of a square is often used in scientific research to study patterns and distributions. It can help researchers understand the symmetry and balance of a system or population.

2. How do you calculate the distance to the middle of a square using 4 points?

To calculate the distance to the middle of a square, you need to measure the distance from each of the 4 points to the center of the square. Then, you can take the average of these distances to find the overall distance to the middle of the square.

3. Can 4 points and the distance to the middle of a square be used to determine the shape of an object?

Yes, 4 points and the distance to the middle of a square can be used to determine the shape of an object. By analyzing the distances and angles between the points, researchers can create a visual representation of the object's shape.

4. What is the purpose of using 4 points instead of 3 or 5 when calculating the distance to the middle of a square?

The use of 4 points allows for more accurate calculations when determining the distance to the middle of a square. With 4 points, there are more data points to work with, resulting in a more precise measurement.

5. Are there any limitations to using 4 points and the distance to the middle of a square in scientific research?

While 4 points and the distance to the middle of a square can be helpful in many cases, there are limitations to its use. This method may not be suitable for complex shapes or systems with irregular distributions. Additionally, human error in measuring the distances may lead to inaccurate results.