Intermediate Algebra: When to "Step Up" Calculator

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, it is unlikely that you will need to upgrade from a basic calculator to a graphing calculator for most mathematics courses. Graphing calculators can be useful for courses such as Trigonometry, College Algebra, and Statistics, but for Intermediate Algebra and Calculus, they are not necessary and may even be forbidden on exams. Additionally, as math becomes more advanced, the focus shifts from specific calculations to understanding proofs and general results. However, a graphing calculator can still be a helpful tool for checking answers and curve fitting.
Holocene
At what point in my study of mathematics will I need to "step up", from the basic 10-digit, 1 line, TI-30XA?

Keep in mind I'm only starting to get into intermediate algebra.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Probably never. Most mathematics is not without a calculator, and my Sharp EL510 has served me fine for a long time. However, you may want to learn to use familiarize yourself with mathematics software such as Maple or Mathematica at some point.

Thanks, but what is the purpose of the "graphing" calculators.

Won't one of those eventually be required for college math courses?

It's never been required for me, and they're essentially forbidden on all exams. They can occasionally be useful for sketching curves, but one of the main parts of Calculus I is to learn how to sketch these curves without a graphing calculator.

Since HS I've almost never used a calculator. The reason is that as the math gets more advanced you're more interested in proofs and general results than in a specific calculation. Whenever I do need some complicated calculation I can always use a computer.

Thanks for the replies.

Forbidden on exams?

That has to suck when you need to multiply or divide large numbers, find roots, etc...

Sorry, regular calculators are usually allowed, graphing calculators are forbidden.

Holocene said:
At what point in my study of mathematics will I need to "step up", from the basic 10-digit, 1 line, TI-30XA?

Keep in mind I'm only starting to get into intermediate algebra.

Graphing Calculators become helpful for Trigonometry and for College Algebra, and also for courses on Statistics. They are helpful as flexible custom answer keys for graphs and information which occurs in graphs. What you learn in Intermediate Algebra, although much tougher than Introductory Algebra, is far too simple for the power of a graphing calculator.

There is more to consider: in case you need to see an answer in the back of the book to check your work, and if that answer is not there, you may be able to use the graphing calculator for this. Also, the intermediate level gives you some skills for curve fitting for which a graphing calculator can be very efficient for you as a tool.

Holocene said:
Thanks for the replies.

Forbidden on exams?

That has to suck when you need to multiply or divide large numbers, find roots, etc...

You usually find, the exam board let's you have everything you need, as in they aren't going to give you some complex equation with 5 decimal places, and ask you to cube it. Everything they ask for is achievable especially at college, with obviously a lot of work.

What do you mean by intermediate algebra? Like algebra II? I think the only thing you'd really need a graphing calculator for would be to find intervals of increase and decrease of functions, which you'll learn how to do by hand in calculus.

Feldoh said:
What do you mean by intermediate algebra? Like algebra II? I think the only thing you'd really need a graphing calculator for would be to find intervals of increase and decrease of functions, which you'll learn how to do by hand in calculus.

Yep, pretty much Algebra 2. Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of "Intermediate Algebra: When to "Step Up" Calculator"?

The purpose of this calculator is to help students determine when they should "step up" to more advanced algebraic techniques during problem solving. It is specifically designed for those studying intermediate algebra, which is typically the first course in college math.

2. How does the calculator work?

The calculator uses a series of questions and prompts to guide students through problem solving. It first asks for the type of equation or expression being worked on, followed by specific information such as the number of variables and the type of operations involved. Based on this information, the calculator suggests when it may be beneficial to use more advanced algebraic techniques.

3. Can the calculator be used for all types of algebraic problems?

No, the calculator is specifically designed for intermediate algebra problems. It may be helpful for some basic algebra problems, but it is not intended for more advanced topics such as calculus or linear algebra.

4. Is the calculator accurate?

The calculator is designed to provide suggestions and guidance for students, but it is ultimately up to the individual to decide when to "step up" to more advanced techniques. It is important to use critical thinking and problem solving skills in conjunction with the calculator's suggestions.

5. Can the calculator replace learning algebraic concepts?

No, the calculator is meant to supplement learning and provide additional support. It is important for students to have a solid understanding of algebraic concepts and techniques in order to effectively use the calculator and solve problems.