Understanding Magnetism in Different Reference Frames

In summary, the electric and magnetic fields are two aspects of a single entity, the electromagnetic field. It is described by a 16-component tensor whose components are the components of the electric and magnetic fields. Observers who move relative to each other see the components as sort of "rotated" among each other. They see different electric and magnetic fields, but the net physical effect is the same for all observers.
zd1899
What if i was traveling in a car with an e- with me. W.r.t to a positive charge at rest , it would seem accelerating to me i.e. it would have a magnetic field but acc. to a person on the ground it would just have an electric field. If there were a car moving relative to me , the person would know that my electron has an electric field but if it were for the person on the ground , he would say it has a magnetic field too.
How to get around this dilemma?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob S said:
You are correct. There is both an elecrtic and magnetic field. See relativistic transformations at bottom of page 1 in
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2002/elecrelarpp.pdf

But , that seems a bit confusing.
I don't get that level of mathematics.

In relativity, the electric and magnetic fields are two aspects of a single entity, the electromagnetic field. It's described by a 16-component tensor whose components are the components of the electric and magnetic fields. Observers who move relative to each other see the components as sort of "rotated" among each other. They see different electric and magnetic fields, but the net physical effect is the same for all observers.

zd1899 said:
What if i was traveling in a car with an e- with me. W.r.t to a positive charge at rest , it would seem accelerating to me i.e. it would have a magnetic field but acc. to a person on the ground it would just have an electric field. If there were a car moving relative to me , the person would know that my electron has an electric field but if it were for the person on the ground , he would say it has a magnetic field too.
How to get around this dilemma?

You've hit the nail right on the head. They're the same thing. If you actually did the calculation from either reference frame you'd get exactly the same predicted result (say the person in the car tossed the e- in the air or some such) but it's simply semantics whether person A says it is an electric phenomena or person B says it is an induced magnetic phenomena. One of the lucky conveniences for Einstein when developing the special theory of relativity was that maxwell's equatiosn (the heart of classical E&M) we ALREADY compliant with the idea of refernces frames. Do the calculations in any reference frame and they'll be consistent with any other reference frame. You might, in later E&M endeavours, consider the perspective of things if say you were sitting ON an electron traversing an electrical circuit or somesuch. In terms of results you'd make identical predictions but you'd see the reason for these results very differently.

So Maxwell could see this through his equations?

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. You are correct, the observer sees both an electric field and a magnetic field. See the 4 equations at bottom of page 1 in
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2002/elecrelarpp.pdf
The unprimed E and B are electric and magnetic fields as seen by you in the car with the charge. The charge has only an electric field so B = 0. v= your velocity relative to the observer in the primed reference system: E' and B'.. The formulas separate the E and B fields into two components: the longitudinal fields EL and BL, and the transverse fields ET and BT.
The most important relevant equation for you is

B'T = γ[BT - (1/c2) v x E]

γ is the relativistic factor 1/sqrt[1-(v/c)2] which equals1 in your case, and v x B is the vector cross product of the velocity v and the electric field E. The result of the v x E is a vector perpendicular to both v and E, and in this case has to be completely azimuthal. So the observer sees both an electric field (equations 1 and 2) and the azimuthal B field given by equation (4).

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω .

1. What is a reference frame in magnetism?

A reference frame in magnetism is a coordinate system used to describe the behavior of magnetic fields and how they interact with other objects. It provides a frame of reference for measuring magnetic forces and fields.

2. How does the Earth's magnetic field relate to reference frames?

The Earth's magnetic field serves as a reference frame for navigation and exploration. It is used as a reference point for maps and compasses, and it also helps us understand the behavior of other magnetic fields.

3. What is the difference between an inertial and non-inertial reference frame in magnetism?

An inertial reference frame is one in which an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. A non-inertial reference frame is one in which objects do not follow this rule, and may experience acceleration or deceleration due to external forces.

4. How do reference frames affect our understanding of magnetism?

Reference frames help us to accurately measure and describe the behavior of magnetic fields and how they interact with other objects. They also provide a framework for understanding the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and their effects on each other.

5. Can reference frames be used in other areas of science?

Yes, reference frames are used in many areas of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. They provide a standardized way of measuring and describing the behavior of physical phenomena, making it easier to compare and analyze data across different experiments and studies.