Spinning Sphere travelling along axis of rotation in fluid

In summary, the effect of rotation on a sphere moving through a fluid, such as a liquid or gas, when traveling along its axis of rotation is similar to the motion of a thrown football or other round object. This is why bullets are made to spin when fired and why footballs have a stabilizing spin. It is believed that the spinning may cause less friction on the object, allowing it to maintain stability and potentially increase velocity. However, there is still debate over whether the spinning actually affects the fluid dynamics and if that leads to an increase in energy or momentum for the object.
traveller444
What effect does rotation have on a sphere moving through a fluid (liguid or gas) when traveling along the axis of rotation? The simplest being an up or down motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this similar to what happens when you throw a football or baseball or other round(ish) object? And possibly why a bullet is made to spin when its fired. Would this cause the sphrere to be more stable in its motions? I don't know, I'm wondering myself now.

Yes, exactly. Like rifling for a bullet or a stabilizing spin for a football. However, I'm wondering more about whether it would affect velocity or general momentum.

traveller444 said:
Yes, exactly. Like rifling for a bullet or a stabilizing spin for a football. However, I'm wondering more about whether it would affect velocity or general momentum.

I don't know, but I would guess that it would not unless the spinning somehow caused there to be less friction on the object.

Drakkith said:
I don't know, but I would guess that it would not unless the spinning somehow caused there to be less friction on the object.

That's just it! Does the spinning cause the fluid to move in a way that DOES decrease the friction? Or does the object somehow acquire more energy from...somewhere?

There are some instances of experiments where an object with spin(travelling along its axis of spin) travels farther and faster than one without...so I am wondering, is that due to some sort of fluid dynamics?

Related to Spinning Sphere travelling along axis of rotation in fluid

1. What is the concept behind a spinning sphere travelling along its axis of rotation in a fluid?

The concept is based on the fluid dynamics principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that an increase in the speed of a fluid results in a decrease in its pressure. In this case, the spinning sphere creates a lower pressure zone in front of it, causing the fluid to flow towards the back of the sphere and creating a propulsive force that moves the sphere forward.

2. How does the speed of the sphere affect its movement in the fluid?

The faster the sphere rotates, the greater the difference in pressure between the front and back of the sphere, resulting in a stronger propulsive force and faster movement through the fluid. However, if the sphere moves too fast, it can create turbulence and decrease its efficiency.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a spinning sphere travelling through a fluid?

The efficiency of the sphere's movement is affected by various factors, including the shape and size of the sphere, the viscosity of the fluid, and the speed of rotation. A streamlined shape and slower rotation speed can increase efficiency, while a more viscous fluid can decrease it.

4. Can a spinning sphere travel in any direction in a fluid?

No, a spinning sphere can only travel in the direction of its axis of rotation. The propulsive force generated by the difference in pressure only works in the direction of the axis of rotation, so the sphere cannot move sideways or backwards.

5. What are some real-life applications of the concept of a spinning sphere travelling through a fluid?

The concept is used in various engineering applications, such as propellers on ships and submarines, turbine blades in power plants, and even in sports equipment like golf balls and tennis balls. It is also studied in aerodynamics and fluid dynamics research to better understand the movement of objects through air and water.