What is the difference between SIN and SINH?

• Thread starter tomcenjerrym
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary: Here this is written C1 cosh(x)+ C[sub]2 sinh(x).In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between SIN and SINH, with SIN being the sine function commonly used in calculus and trigonometry, and SINH being the hyperbolic sine function used in differential equations. The "H" in SINH stands for "hyperbolic" and it has its own set of fundamental solutions to differential equations.
tomcenjerrym
There are SIN and SINH. The first one is familiar as SINUS on calculus (or trigonometry), but, I don’t know what SINH means. Can anybody here explain me what is meant by “H” letter on the SINH? Please advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tomcenjerrym said:
There are SIN and SINH. The first one is familiar as SINUS on calculus (or trigonometry), but, I don’t know what SINH means. Can anybody here explain me what is meant by “H” letter on the SINH? Please advance

It's Hyperbolic Sine. The H is abbreviated for Hyperbolic. you can read it up here.

[tex]\sinh x = \frac{e ^ {x} - e ^ {-x}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\cosh x = \frac{e ^ {x} + e ^ {-x}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\tanh x = \frac{\sinh x}{\cosh x} = \frac{e ^ {x} - e ^ {-x}}{e ^ {x} + e ^ {-x}}[/tex]

[tex]\coth x = \frac{\cosh x}{\sinh x} = \frac{e ^ {x} + e ^ {-x}}{e ^ {x} - e ^ {-x}}[/tex]

Thank you.

circular functions and hyperbolic functions.

given any curve f and a fixed point on it and a direction, you get two functions. i.e. given input t, go along the curve a distance t, then look at the x and y coordinates x(t) = cosf(t) and y(t) = sinf(t).

another way to think of it is

cosh(ix) = cos(x)
sinh(ix) = i*sin(x)

Just to add to this list:
The "fundamental solutions" to the differential equation y"+ y= 0 are cos(x) and
sin(x). "Fundamental" because if y is a solution to y"+ y= 0, satifying y(0)= A, y'(0)= B, then y(x)= A cos(x)+ B sin(x).

The fundamental solutions to the differential equation y"- y= 0 are cosh(x) and sinh(x). If y is a solution to y"- y= 0 satisfying y(0)= A, y'(0)= B, then y(x)= A cosh(x)+ B sinh(x).
Normally, the general solution to y"- y= 0 is written C1[/sup]ex+ C2 e-x but that is harder to evaluate at x= 0.

What is the difference between SIN and SINH?

SIN and SINH are two mathematical functions that are related to each other. They are both used to calculate the sine value of an angle, but they differ in their approach and output.

How do SIN and SINH differ in their approach?

SIN is a trigonometric function that takes an angle as its input and outputs the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle. On the other hand, SINH is a hyperbolic function that takes a real number as its input and outputs a value using the exponential function.

What is the range of values for SIN and SINH?

The range of values for SIN is -1 to 1, as it is a ratio of two sides of a right triangle. However, the range of values for SINH is infinite, as it uses the exponential function, which can have any value as its output.

How are SIN and SINH used in real-life applications?

The SIN function is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry to solve problems involving angles and triangles. The SINH function is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

Can SIN and SINH be used interchangeably?

No, SIN and SINH cannot be used interchangeably as they serve different purposes and have different inputs and outputs. However, they are closely related and can be used in conjunction with each other in certain mathematical calculations.