Is such a theorem exists? (Uniform convergence).

In summary, there is a counterpart to the single variable theorem for functions with a bounded derivative, which states that if a function f(x1,...,xn) is continuous, differentiable, and each partial derivative is bounded, then f is uniformly continuous. However, this statement may not hold if the function is a sequence of functions, as demonstrated by the example f_n(x)=x^n. In general, if all partial derivatives of a function are bounded, then the total derivative and directional derivative are also bounded, leading to a maximum rate of change for the function.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I would like to know if there's a counterpart to the single variable theorem, that if f is a differentialble function with a bounded derivative, is uniformly continuous.

I think the counterpart should be, if f(x1,...,xn) is continuous function, and differentiable, and each f'_xi are bounded then f is uniformly continuous.

But I have my suspicions.

Anyone can corroborate or disprove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think f_n:[0,1]-->R defined by f_n(x)=x^n is a counter-example.

quasar987 said:
I think f_n:[0,1]-->R defined by f_n(x)=x^n is a counter-example.

I'm not sure what a sequence of functions has to do with anything here...

If each of the partial derivatives are bounded, the total derivative (which is the matrix of every partial derivative) has each entry bounded. The directional derivative, which tells you how fast the function changes when you go in a certain direction, is equal to the total derivative matrix multiplied by a (unit) vector in the direction you want to look at. So this is bounded also, which means that the function cannot increase faster than a certain value (if the partial derivatives are all bounded by M, then this is M*n where n is the dimension of your domain. If your image space is more than one dimension, say dimension k, it's M*n*k)

1. What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a property of a sequence of functions, where the functions in the sequence converge to the same function in a way that is independent of the input or domain. In other words, the convergence is uniform across the entire domain of the functions.

2. How is uniform convergence different from pointwise convergence?

In pointwise convergence, the functions in the sequence converge to the same function point by point, but the convergence may not be uniform across the entire domain. This means that the convergence may be different at different points within the domain. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, guarantees that the convergence is consistent and uniform across the entire domain.

3. What is the importance of uniform convergence in mathematics?

Uniform convergence is important because it ensures that the limit of a sequence of functions is also a function, which allows for easier analysis and calculation of limits. It also allows for the interchange of limit and integral operations, which is essential in many areas of mathematics, such as in the study of series and differential equations.

4. How is uniform convergence related to continuity?

In order for a sequence of functions to converge uniformly, the limit function must also be continuous. This is because uniform convergence ensures that the functions in the sequence are close to each other in a consistent way, which is necessary for the limit function to be continuous.

5. Can a sequence of discontinuous functions converge uniformly?

No, a sequence of discontinuous functions cannot converge uniformly. This is because uniform convergence requires that the functions in the sequence are close to each other in a consistent way, and discontinuous functions do not satisfy this requirement. However, a sequence of continuous functions can converge to a discontinuous limit function in a pointwise manner.