How Far Will a 76 kg Person Fall with a Doubling Bungee Cord?

In summary: Elasticity is a measure of how much an object will stretch. This can be found by dividing the change in length by the initial length. The elasticity constant for bungee cords is about 5/9.
NicholasAllen
Hi,

I was wondering whether there is a formula in terms of length and mass which would provide how far a person would fall is they were attached to a bungee cord rope which stretched to twice it's natural length when an object of 76 kilos was hung from it at REST from the free end?

I'm finding this difficult as we are not given a natural length... Oh also in this case I am neglecting the height of the person.

I am a Maths C student, so any physics explanations would not be much help as I'm hopeless at physics (whereas quite okay at maths c).

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're correct about not knowing the unstretched length. One could think of a bungee cord simply as a spring. In that case, the force exerted is:
[tex]
F = k\Delta x
[/tex]
Without the original length, you cannot find [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and therefore the instantaneous force exerted on the mass by the cord.

So does that mean there is no formula?
Because my maths C teacher is convinced there is, and i need it as a preliminary sort of thing to begin an assignment - maybe it is a formula in terms of x, l and m ?

I mean that's the formula for the resistance felt by the person. You could draw a free body diagram; the net force being mass times acceleration. The forces in each direction are mass and the resistance force from the bungee. However, saying that the cord will stretch twice it's length, but not specifying that length will not allow a person to get the change in length of the cord.

This can be done by assuming the rope behaves as a spring as minger described.

-Draw free body diagram of the person at rest hanging from the end of the rope using the known condition (76 kg mass, delta x = l)
-> At rest means no acceleration, therefore the vector sum of all forces adds up to zero. This leads to an equation.
-> Solve for spring constant k in terms of l and m

Since this is homework I'm not going to give you the rest of the solution, but hopefully now that you know the spring constant, and what minger described, you can come up with something on your own for the variable mass case...

If you don't know the natural length, you must know the elasticity constant.

What is bungee jumping mathematics?

Bungee jumping mathematics is the application of mathematical principles to understand the physics and mechanics behind bungee jumping. It involves using equations and calculations to predict the behavior of a bungee jumper and the bungee cord during a jump.

Why is mathematics important in bungee jumping?

Mathematics is important in bungee jumping because it helps us understand the forces and dynamics involved in the jump. By using mathematical models and calculations, we can determine the appropriate length and elasticity of the bungee cord to ensure a safe and enjoyable jump.

What are some key equations used in bungee jumping mathematics?

The most commonly used equations in bungee jumping mathematics are Hooke's Law, which relates the force applied to the extension of the bungee cord, and the conservation of energy equation, which helps us determine the potential and kinetic energy of the jumper at different points during the jump.

How do you calculate the length of a bungee cord for a specific jump?

To calculate the length of a bungee cord for a specific jump, we need to consider factors such as the mass and height of the jumper, the desired maximum acceleration and the desired rebound height. Using these variables, we can use equations and calculations to determine the appropriate length and elasticity of the cord.

What are some safety measures taken in bungee jumping based on mathematics?

Bungee jumping companies use mathematical calculations to determine the appropriate length and elasticity of the bungee cord for each individual jumper. They also use safety margins to ensure that the cord can withstand higher forces than anticipated. Additionally, mathematical models are used to assess the potential risks and hazards of a bungee jump location.