Tesla Turbine, or variation of it.

In summary, the steam has to squeeze into a smaller space as it migrates towards the center of the disks in a tesla turbine in order to speed up and compensate for the smaller turning surface. If it speeds up to compensate for the smaller space, it is 'fighting' against a slower turning surface towards the center of the disks.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As I understand it, a tesla turbine runs by injecting steam, or some other gas onto the outside of several disks mounted parallel to each other on a shaft. The gas is directed roughly tangent to the outside of the disks and it exits through openings in the center of the disks. Seems straight forward and all, but somewhat counter intuitive that expanding steam/air/whatever has to squeeze into a smaller space as it migrates towards the center. If it speeds up to compensate for the smaller space, it is 'fighting' against a slower turning surface towards the center of the disks.
-
I have thought about a similar turbine but instead of having preheated steam injected at the outside the whole disk assembly is heated to the point that it will boil water injected at the center. The steam that is boiled off after hitting the hot disks will not do a whole lot as I have described it so far. What I envision is having 'stators' between each disk. These stators would be spiral shaped from the center out to direct the steam in a manner to cause the disks to turn from the friction of the steam against them. The stators would be shaped in a way to take advantage of the steams expanding volume as it migrates towards the outside. Functionally doing the same thing that a conventional steam turbines stator and rotor blades do by changing shape to take advantage of expanded steam as it gets closer to the exhaust. As for sealing between the stator and rotor? So far my only idea is simply a close fit that does not contact. Efficiency may be ridiculously low, but I just am wondering about concept.
-
Am I missing something in a conventional tesla turbine? I see reports of efficiencies that are all over the place but you cannot really believe what you read on Nikola Tesla since there are a lot of nut-cases out there that worship anything connected to him.

Likes Jack Loranger
Physics news on Phys.org
Something like that can certainly work. It's not a tesla turbine, but an aeopile. People generally try to avoid having fast moving (high strain) and high temperature at the same place/time because it's a materials challenge.

Hello Nate. Thanks for the reply. Yes I am sure it is a materials challenge. I'm not too serious about this, just something that crossed my mind. There are plenty of challenges that would be in the way. I'll give more details later on the idea.

Actually upon further investigation what I have described is NOT an aeopile. If the spiral shaped stators I referred to turned with the disks then yes it would be an aeopile. My idea is to try to keep all the heat in one place. The turbine itself is the boiler. Let the water turn to steam as it contacts the disks and stators. With the properly shaped stators the disks should turn.

i am doing tesla turbine 3D simulation in CFX-11,HOW TO CREATE 3D geometry,i didnt get any idea

Averagesupernova said:
As I understand it, a tesla turbine runs by injecting steam, or some other gas onto the outside of several disks mounted parallel to each other on a shaft. The gas is directed roughly tangent to the outside of the disks and it exits through openings in the center of the disks. Seems straight forward and all, but somewhat counter intuitive that expanding steam/air/whatever has to squeeze into a smaller space as it migrates towards the center. If it speeds up to compensate for the smaller space, it is 'fighting' against a slower turning surface towards the center of the disk.

I have never noticed this thread until now, it might help to consider what volume the gas requires if it has given up it's energy, to the work transferred through the spinning disc group.

1. What is a Tesla Turbine?

A Tesla Turbine is a type of turbine that uses smooth, parallel disks instead of traditional blades to create rotational motion. It was invented by Nikola Tesla in the early 20th century and is designed to be more efficient and durable than traditional turbines.

2. How does a Tesla Turbine work?

A Tesla Turbine works by using the adhesion and viscosity of air or fluid to move the disks in a circular motion. The disks are placed in a cylindrical chamber and connected to a shaft, which is then connected to a generator to produce electricity.

3. What are the advantages of a Tesla Turbine?

Some advantages of a Tesla Turbine include its compact size, high efficiency, and ability to operate with a variety of fuels. It also has fewer moving parts and is less prone to wear and tear, making it more durable and requiring less maintenance.

4. What are the potential applications of a Tesla Turbine?

A Tesla Turbine can be used in a variety of applications, including power generation, water pumps, and air compressors. It can also be used in combination with other technologies, such as solar power or geothermal energy, to create a more sustainable and efficient energy system.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using a Tesla Turbine?

One limitation of a Tesla Turbine is that it can be less efficient at low speeds, making it less suitable for some applications. It also requires precise engineering and design to achieve optimal performance. Additionally, the upfront cost of a Tesla Turbine may be higher than traditional turbines, but it can save money in the long run due to its durability and efficiency.