Linear Algebra Proof (vector spaces and spans)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a problem involving matrix multiplication and the span of vectors in a vector space. It is suggested to use the definition of span and consider the possibility that every vector in the span could be multiplied by the matrix A and result in 0, which would be impossible since a set of all 0 vectors cannot span the space. It is then hinted to consider the definition of a basis in a vector space.
jmm

Homework Statement

If [itex]ℝ^{n}=span(X_{1},X_{2},...,X_{k})[/itex] and A is a nonzero m x n matrix, show that [itex]AX_{i}≠0[/itex] for some i.

Homework Equations

~

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys, I'm way over my head here. I really don't know how to approach this problem. I would really appreciate it if someone could give a nudge in the right direction as to where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jmm! :smile:

hint: suppose every Axi = 0 :wink:

(and remember the definition of span)

If every AXi=0 that would mean that Xi=0 for all i, right? And a set of all 0 vectors would not span Rn, right? ...so that would be impossible? Haha I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Thanks for your reply by the way!

jmm said:
If every AXi=0 that would mean that Xi=0 for all i, right?

nooo :redface:

what is the definition of span = ℝn? :smile:

Does it mean that all of the linear combinations of vectors in the span form the space Rn?

what does it mean about any individual vector? :smile:

Ummmm, I really don't know :(

look it up! :rolleyes:

(remember, we're talking about vector spaces :wink:)

Oh, believe me, I've been looking it up for the past 8 hours haha. Everything I've seen has it defined in terms of combinations of many vectors.

in a vector space, you can express any vector as … ?

I don't know that one either. I mean I probably do but I can't figure out where you're trying to lead me :)

And I thought another linear algebra course would be good for me!

hint: basis :wink:

FAQ: Linear Algebra Proof (vector spaces and spans)

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, and a set of operations, such as addition and scalar multiplication, that can be performed on those vectors. The properties of a vector space include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, as well as the existence of a zero vector and additive inverses.

What is a span?

The span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be created by multiplying each vector by a scalar and adding them together. The span of a set of vectors is always a subspace of the vector space in which the vectors reside.

How do you prove that a set of vectors spans a vector space?

To prove that a set of vectors spans a vector space, you must show that every vector in the vector space can be expressed as a linear combination of the given set of vectors. This can be done by writing out the general form of a linear combination and then setting it equal to a specific vector in the vector space. If you can solve for the coefficients of the linear combination, then the vector is in the span of the given set of vectors.

What is a linearly independent set of vectors?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if none of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, no vector in the set is redundant and each vector brings something new to the span of the set. A linearly independent set of vectors is important in proving that a set of vectors spans a vector space.

How do you prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent, you must show that the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0, where c1, c2, ..., cn are scalars and v1, v2, ..., vn are the vectors in the set, is when all of the coefficients are equal to 0. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and using techniques such as Gaussian elimination to solve for the coefficients.

Back