Electrostatic Precipitator Design

In summary, the individual is looking for a way to reduce the local pollution caused by the burning of coal in their home. They found a process called an electrostatic precipitator which can be used to reduce the amount of smoke emitted. However, they are worried about trying to build something like this and are looking for advice on how to make it completely safe.
Design Mongoli
I currently live in Mongolia, and during the winter months (6 months of the year) we heat our "Gers" see below picture, using coal. These are burned in stoves, and then the smoke is funnelled through a 11cm tube (chimney) through the roof.

However this is very smoky and nasty, and bad for my family's health. I really wanted to find a way to cure this problem, so we could minimise the amount of smoke my children and family are surrounded by when they leave the house. I did some research and came across a process they use in coal fired power stations called an "Electrostatic Precipitator".

Upon initial investigation (A little google research) i found this website http://hackaday.com/2014/03/13/cleaning-up-smoke-with-an-electrostatic-precipitator/

It looks perfectly scalable based on this, but i am not familiar with electronics and so i am worried about attempting to build something like this and then blowing myself up with a big electric shock. Do you have to induce a current to get the two different charged ions, or are there any different things you could use? Like sacrificial anodes, or galvanised materials etc? So you are making it wholly passive, rather than using electrics?

If you have to use electric source, could someone please give me advice how i can make this totally safe, and also what sort of voltages. The guy in the video is using a huge voltage, but going by other comments, a voltage of over 5Kv is ok. Is there anyway of building my own voltage system i could plug in from the mains and attach to the electrostatic precipitator.

I really am at a loose end how to start somethign like this. So any tips are greatly provided. The chimney is 11cm in diameter, and i guess it can be anything up to 20cm in length before it would start getting too flimsy. This only needs to work to clean up the emissions of gas.

Please see the pictures below and let me know what you think! PS I am posting this on multiple parts of this website as i am not too sure where this should go. Sorry if this annoys anyone!

Attachments

• ger.jpg
    ger.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 456
  • ger stove.jpg
    ger stove.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 434
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

To reduce the local pollution you might use a taller chimney. A catalytic converter or post-combustion chamber with excess air introduced through a venturi might also be possible.

The grade of coal used will also make a difference. Does it have high sulphur content?

An electrostatic precipitator needs a high DC voltage, but very little current. The technology used in photocopiers and laser printers use these voltages to drive the corona wires. They have a current limiter which makes them safer than other high voltage supplies. You might recycle a corona module from the e-waste stream.

Where will you get the 10 watts of electrical power needed to drive the HV DC supply?

What is an electrostatic precipitator (ESP)?

An electrostatic precipitator (ESP) is a device used to remove particulate matter from industrial exhaust gases. It uses an electrical charge to attract and collect particles, which are then removed from the system.

How does an electrostatic precipitator work?

An ESP works by creating an electrical field between two electrodes, a negatively charged electrode (called the cathode) and a positively charged electrode (called the anode). As the exhaust gases pass through this field, particles become charged and are attracted to the oppositely charged electrode, where they collect and are removed from the system.

What factors affect the design of an electrostatic precipitator?

The design of an ESP is influenced by several factors, including the size and type of particulate matter being removed, the gas flow rate, the electrical properties of the particles, and the desired efficiency of the system.

What are the different types of electrostatic precipitators?

There are several types of ESPs, including plate, tube, and wet precipitators. Plate and tube precipitators use flat or cylindrical plates to create the electrical field, while wet precipitators use water or other liquid to remove particles. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best choice will depend on the specific needs of the application.

What are some common design challenges in electrostatic precipitators?

Some common design challenges in ESPs include maintaining a constant electrical field, preventing the buildup of particles on the electrodes, and ensuring efficient removal of particles without causing excessive pressure drop in the system. These challenges can be addressed through proper sizing and design of the system, as well as regular maintenance and cleaning.