Find the maximum and minimum dimension of a closed loop

To find the maximum and minimum dimension of an irregular closed loop, one can calculate the distance between every two points on the contour and the largest distance is the maximum dimension. Pseudo code for this method is provided."In summary, To find the maximum and minimum dimension of an irregular closed loop, one can calculate the distance between every two points on the contour and the largest distance is the maximum dimension. Pseudo code for this method is provided.
elgen
Dear all,

Is there a method to find the maximum and minimum dimension of an irregular closed loop? This is a problem when we want to define the full-width - half maximum of a image. The level contour of this image at its half maximum can be an irregular closed loop.

Any reference or comment is welcome. Thank you.

elgen

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah ... the maximum dimension is needed. Need to calculate the distance between every two points on the contour and the largest distance is the maximum dimension.
Here is the pseudo code, which x is Nx2 vector

Code:
    for i=1:nPoints
        for j=i+1:nPoints
            temp = norm(x(i,:)-x(j,:));
            if (temp > distance)
                distance = temp;
                idx = [i j];
            end
        end
    end

Result of some quick thinking. Perhaps there is a better way.

elgen

1. What is a closed loop?

A closed loop is a geometric shape that has no openings or breaks, meaning that all points in the shape are connected in a continuous line.

2. How do you find the maximum and minimum dimensions of a closed loop?

To find the maximum and minimum dimensions of a closed loop, you need to measure the distance between the farthest and closest points on the loop. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

3. What is the importance of finding the maximum and minimum dimensions of a closed loop?

Knowing the maximum and minimum dimensions of a closed loop can help in understanding the overall size and shape of the loop. This information can also be used in designing and constructing the loop for various purposes.

4. Can a closed loop have multiple maximum and minimum dimensions?

Yes, a closed loop can have multiple maximum and minimum dimensions. This is because the dimensions can vary depending on which points are used to measure them.

5. Are there any mathematical equations to find the maximum and minimum dimensions of a closed loop?

Yes, there are mathematical equations that can be used to find the maximum and minimum dimensions of a closed loop. These equations involve calculating the perimeter and area of the loop, as well as the distance between various points on the loop.