Solving Complex Number Equations with e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x}

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e^(1/2 * i * n * x) = sin(1/2 * n * x), where n is a positive integer and x is an angle. The conversation includes references to de Moivre's Theorem, the use of a Greek letter to represent imaginary numbers, and the potential role of a Germanic script in understanding the equation. Ultimately, it is determined that the equation is only true if the sign prior to the equation represents the imaginary part of the complex number. The conversation concludes with the realization that the fancy symbol used in the equation represents the imaginary part of the complex number.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
How does...

[tex]e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x} = \sin{ \frac{1}{2} n x}[/tex]

...where n is any positive integer and x is any angle.

I know about de Moivre's Theorem, but that can't be deduced from there.

There is also brackets around it, with some sort of greek letter on the outside. Looks like a vertheta or something. I know this doesn't help much, but I just wanted you to know. The sign is not present after the equal sign.

It would make sense if the sign (greek letter) is used to get rid of imaginary numbers somehow. Also, x would have to be one radian measure so that cos would always be eliminated. Because cos(pi n 1/2) will always be zero.

Maybe it doesn't even use de Moivre's Theorem.

I'm clueless.

Maybe the greek letter represents 1/i and therefore gets rid of the i.

Honestly, it doesn't even say what x is, it is actually that circle with the line across so that should represent any angle.

Can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't equal that

I think the sign you can't translat is the Im( ) thing in some fancy germanic script.

As it stands, it is completely incorrect, UNLESS the sign prior signifies the IMAGINARY PART of the complex number.
(Remember that a complex number can be described in terms of two REAL numbers, the real part, and the imaginary part of that number).

That's the only clue I can give you..

let's see if the tex here has it:

[tex]\mathfrak{I}[/tex]
or

[tex]\Im[/tex]

[tex]e^{inx} = \cos(nx) + i \sin(nx)[/tex]

So, it is true that

[tex]\mbox{Im}(e^{inx}) = \sin (nx)[/tex]

That was of no help at all. You told me what I already know.

I appreciate your response though.

I was just hoping that maybe I wasn't seeing something. I'll ask my prof, and I hope he's willing to help.

matt grime said:
It doesn't equal that

I think the sign you can't translat is the Im( ) thing in some fancy germanic script.

I believe that might be it.

I have never seen that notation and the book never mentionned anything about it.

I got it now.

The fancy thing is an I, which you know what it means.

Makes sense a lot of sense now.

Thanks.

Note: It means imaginary part for the readers who are interested in knowing.

1. What are complex number equations?

Complex number equations involve numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part multiplied by the imaginary unit i.

2. What is e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x}?

e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x} is a complex number that represents the solution to the complex exponential function e^{ix}. It is commonly used in trigonometric equations and has applications in physics and engineering.

3. How do you solve complex number equations with e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x}?

To solve a complex number equation with e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x}, you can use the properties of complex numbers and the rules of exponentiation. You may also need to use trigonometric identities and solve for the different values of x.

4. What is the significance of e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x} in solving complex equations?

e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x} is a key component in solving complex equations because it allows for the representation of complex numbers in a simpler form. It also has important applications in Fourier analysis and signal processing.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a complex equation with e^{\frac{1}{2} i n x}?

Sure, let's solve the equation e^{ix} = 1. We can rewrite this as e^{ix} = e^{0} and use the fact that e^{ix} = e^{iy} if and only if x = y + 2\pi n, where n is an integer. In this case, x = 0 + 2\pi n, so the solutions are x = 2\pi n. Thus, the solutions for e^{ix} = 1 are x = 0, 2\pi, 4\pi, etc.