Moment of inertia of curved cuboid

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding the moment of inertia components of a curved cuboid with a parabolic curve around the y-axis. They provide a sketch and the other person suggests finding the inertia of the 2D slice and gives instructions for finding the components of inertia. The original person clarifies some details and asks for confirmation.
kylem2122
Hi Physics Forums!

Moment of inertia question for you:
I have a cuboid, like the first one in this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

only it is curved around the y (w in pic) axis such that the x (h in pic) axis touches the top and bottom ends of the cuboid and it is a parabolic curve that satisfies the following:
z=r*(1-(x^2)/((c/2)^2))
where r is the distance from the origin to the center of the cuboid and c is the chord length (in the x direction)
I need to find what the moment of inertia components would be, and I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't picture what you're describing. If you can provide a sketch then I can probably figure it out.

If the shape is a 2D "extrusion" then it is sufficient to find the inertia of the 2D slice which should be a simple region in R2.

Thanks for the reply. I have made a simple 2D sketch for you. The y-axis is coming out of the page. Technically it is more like a flat plate than a cuboid but I would like to find the xx yy zz components of inertia if possible.

Attachments

• cambered_flat_plate_sketch.bmp
    105.4 KB · Views: 571
Ok this is simple. For Iyy do double integral of x^2 + z^2 dA on the region -c/2<x<c/2 and 0<z<z(x). This gives moment of inertia about the origin.

Okay, and I think the Izz will stay the same as a regular cuboid, right? What about Ixx? And for z(x) I use r*(1-(x^2)/((c/2)^2)) right? And should it be dm instead of dA for mass moment of inertia?

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia of a curved cuboid?

The moment of inertia of a curved cuboid is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It is calculated by summing the products of the mass and squared distance from the axis for each small element of the cuboid.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a curved cuboid different from that of a regular cuboid?

The moment of inertia of a curved cuboid is different from a regular cuboid because it takes into account the curvature of the shape. This means that the distance from the axis varies for each element and must be calculated using a different formula.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a curved cuboid?

The moment of inertia of a curved cuboid is affected by the mass of the object, the radius of curvature, and the distance from the axis. Additionally, the distribution of mass along the curved surface can also impact the moment of inertia.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a curved cuboid calculated?

To calculate the moment of inertia of a curved cuboid, you must use the integral calculus formula, which involves breaking the shape down into small elements and summing their individual moments of inertia. The formula may vary depending on the specific shape and axis of rotation.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a curved cuboid useful in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia of a curved cuboid is useful in many real-world applications, including engineering and physics. It can help engineers design structures that are resistant to rotational motion, such as bridges and buildings. It is also used in physics to understand the rotational behavior of objects, such as the rotation of planets and satellites.