Impulse/momentum of cart rolling over a step

In summary, the conversation revolves around the problem of determining whether a mobile cart can roll over a 10mm step threshold without tipping over at an initial velocity of 0.8m/s. The person has been using impulse, momentum, and energy equations from a website, but is unsure due to the presence of two pivots instead of one. There is also a discussion about the forces and torques involved and the suggestion of using simulation or an actual test to determine the outcome.
knokout5
Hello everyone,

This is my first thread so thanks in advance for any help! I have been trying to figure out this problem, and though I've gotten close to an end solution (also with the help of motion analysis on Solidworks) I am not very confident.

So, in order to meet an IEC standard of a mobile cart, I am trying to figure out if a mobile cart can roll over a 10mm step threshold without tipping over going at an initial velocity of 0.8m/s. I have been basically using impulse, momentum, and energy equations from this site:

http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/impulse-and-momentum.html

impulse_momentum_pr_7.png

The only tick on my neck is that, all the examples I've found are of one pivot with some moment of inertia of one wheel. In my case, you have TWO pivots:
1) at the center of the wheel, whereabout the center of mass (CM) of the cart is rotating.
2) at the step/wheel contact point.

The wheel will need enough "vertical velocity" to make it over the step, but doesn't that all depend on the force at which the momentum of the CM "pulls" the wheel over the step? My CM is relatively high above the ground, so in my motion analyses I have been seeing the cart tip forward (rear wheels lifted off the floor), and then the wheel rolling over the step, and then the cart come back down. There are two things going on. Any help would be appreciated!

-Mike

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything in the sketch which could tip over, nor do I see a cart. Is there something missing?

The FBD I posted isn't of the cart, its just an example taken from the website. I was hoping my explanation would clear things up. But I here's a drawing (attached) without forces.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 542
Hmm.. if the rear wheel loses contact to the surface, torques on the front wheel (if it is powered) can become important. Otherwise, you just have more unknown parameters to determine. And the system will need a simulation, I think.

Yes, the rear wheel will lose contact due to the collision. And the cart is not powered, so I am trying to figure out speeds at which it will tip/go over the threshold. I guess simulation may be the best bet or an actual test.

1. What is impulse/momentum in relation to a cart rolling over a step?

Impulse and momentum are both measures of an object's motion. Impulse is the change in an object's momentum, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How does the height of the step affect the impulse/momentum of the cart?

The height of the step affects the impulse/momentum of the cart by changing the potential energy of the cart. As the cart rolls over a higher step, it gains more potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as the cart rolls down the step.

3. What factors affect the impulse/momentum of the cart rolling over a step?

The factors that affect the impulse/momentum of the cart include the mass and velocity of the cart, the height and angle of the step, and any external forces acting on the cart. Friction and air resistance can also affect the impulse/momentum of the cart.

4. How does the impulse/momentum change when the cart is rolling up versus rolling down the step?

When the cart is rolling up the step, it is gaining potential energy and therefore its momentum is increasing. When the cart is rolling down the step, it is losing potential energy and its momentum is decreasing. However, the total impulse (change in momentum) will be the same in both cases if there are no external forces acting on the cart.

5. Can the impulse/momentum of the cart be calculated using a specific formula?

Yes, the impulse/momentum of the cart can be calculated using the formula Impulse = Force x Time, or Momentum = Mass x Velocity. These formulas can be used to analyze the motion of the cart rolling over a step and determine its change in momentum or impulse. Other factors, such as energy and work, can also be used to calculate the impulse/momentum of the cart.