Can You Calculate the Area and Volume of a Blob Without an Equation?

• Thread starter Dark_Templar
  • Start date
In summary, to find the area and volume of a figure (enclosed figure), you might use a method like this:1. Make a model of the figure.2. Submerge the model in liquid and measure the volume of liquid displaced.3. Divide by the constant thickness to get the surface area.4. Multiply by a scaling constant to get the surface area of the really large shape.5. Alternatively, if you can sample the figure, you could count up the number of elements (pixels) enclosed.6. Set up a Monte Carlo method to calculate the area and volume.
Dark_Templar
Area/Volume of a "blob"

I have a question. How would you find the area and volume of a figure (enclosed figure) without an equation? For example, like finding the area or volume of a lake or the area and volume of a figure with curves that can't be described with an equation. Do you use something like path integrals and multiple integrals?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both the above involve equations. You would either make simplifcations (like spherical chickens) or model the lake, probably in a piecewise fashion.

If you did it in a piecewise fashion, how would you derive the equation from the arc lengths?

The same way you would if it were continuous.

Dark_Templar said:
I have a question. How would you find the area and volume of a figure (enclosed figure) without an equation? For example, like finding the area or volume of a lake or the area and volume of a figure with curves that can't be described with an equation. Do you use something like path integrals and multiple integrals?

here is one method that engineers like:

lets say i want to know the surface area of a saddle-like shape. i don't know the equation describing the shape, perhaps because i form the shape through an industrial "stretching" process (that is nonethless well-defined).

so, i make my saddle model, with the same thickness everywhere and using a material whose density will not vary by much.

i then submerge the model in liquid and measure the volume of liquid displaced: this gives me the volume. i then divide by the constant thickness, and voila, we have the surface area. i can then multiply this by a scaling constant to get the surface area of the really large shape.

given a very consistent density value, we also could have weighed the model on an accurate balance.

for a lake: how about marking the water level immediately before it rains (to minimize the effect of evaporation), then measure the level again right after it rains. you could measure the amount of rainfall by doing the same thing with a bucket of known volume. calculate, using the bucket, the rate of rain fall per unit area. then, if you can find the area of the lake, you could use your data to calculate the lake's volume. finding the area of the lake amounts to finding the area of an irregular shape, you could use a similar empirical technique as i described above for the saddle.

If you can sample (digitize) it [effectively, lay a grid over it],
you could count up the number of elements (pixels) enclosed.

It also may be possible to set-up a Monte Carlo method.

FAQ: Can You Calculate the Area and Volume of a Blob Without an Equation?

What is the area of a blob?

The area of a blob is the measure of its surface, or the two-dimensional space that it occupies. It can be calculated by finding the sum of all the individual areas of the blob's surface.

How do you calculate the volume of a blob?

The volume of a blob is the measure of its three-dimensional space. It can be calculated by finding the sum of all the individual volumes of the blob's interior and exterior surfaces. This can be done using various mathematical formulas, depending on the shape of the blob.

What is the difference between area and volume?

Area and volume are both measurements of space, but they differ in dimensionality. Area is a two-dimensional measurement of the surface of an object, while volume is a three-dimensional measurement of the space that an object occupies.

How does the shape of a blob affect its area and volume?

The shape of a blob greatly affects its area and volume. Objects with irregular or complex shapes will have a greater area and volume compared to objects with simple shapes. Additionally, the formulas used to calculate area and volume will be different depending on the shape of the blob.

Can the area or volume of a blob change over time?

Yes, the area or volume of a blob can change over time. This can occur due to various factors such as growth, shrinkage, or deformation of the blob. The rate of change will depend on the material and environmental conditions affecting the blob.