Accelerating reference frame

In summary, the conversation discussed building a line follower robot and the need for a coordinate system to define the control system. The most convenient option was a rotating and accelerating reference frame. The question was raised about the validity of calculations regarding acceleration in this frame. Inertial forces and the Coriolis effect were also mentioned. The conversation then delved into the mathematical derivation of fictitious forces, specifically the case of a rotating coordinate system. The possibility of using a fixed coordinate system at a point on the robot was also discussed, with the potential for all terms in the fictional force to be zero.
MechatronO
I'm attempting to build a line follower robot and I'm currently in the process of building appropriate models.

For the control system I need to define a coordinate system. The most convinient coordinate system from many point of views would be a coordinate system that moves along and changes direction with the robot, thus a rotating and accelerating reference frame.

The question is if calculations regarding acceleration still would be valid if they are carried out in the same way as in a fixed reference frame.

The calculations to be carried out are:

ƩM = Jω' - Angular acceleration related to net torque applied
ƩF = ma - Acceleration of center of gravity related to net force applied

I've glanced some about information regarding the coriolis effect but I don't really understand it yet. No "loose" object are to be treated in the reference frame.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aha. That was an interesting article.

The force observed from an arbitrary accelerating and rotating coordinatesystem is

Fb= Fa + F[itex]_{fic}[/itex]

F[itex]_{fic}[/itex] = -(m[itex]_{ab}[/itex] + 2mƩv[itex]_{j}[/itex]u'[itex]_{j}[/itex] + mƩx[itex]_{j}[/itex]u´´[itex]_{j}[/itex])

Fb is the appearent force that an observer in a rotating reference frame would think is acting on an object, while F is the "real" force an observer in an inertial reference frame would see and Ffic is the fictional force coming from the movements of the ref. system and m[itex]_{ab}[/itex] is the acceleration of the ref. system.

I however want a coordinatsystem that is fixed both in position and angle to the robot at a point on the robot which defines position [0,0,0].
The position and velocity in its "own" coordinatesystem would thus be 0.
Will this zero all terms in the Ffic and leave Fb = F - m[itex]_{ab}[/itex] in this particular case?

As the robot would see the acceleration and in combination the force "on itself" in this system as zero we would get back F = m[itex]_{ab}[/itex] if the world of math smiles to me this time?

1. What is an accelerating reference frame?

An accelerating reference frame is a coordinate system that is moving at a non-constant velocity. It is different from an inertial reference frame, which is a coordinate system that is moving at a constant velocity.

2. How does an accelerating reference frame affect measurements and observations?

An accelerating reference frame can cause apparent forces, such as centrifugal force, to be observed. This can also result in measurements and observations appearing different than they would in an inertial reference frame.

3. What is the difference between an accelerating reference frame and a rotating reference frame?

An accelerating reference frame involves a change in velocity, while a rotating reference frame involves a change in direction. Both can result in apparent forces and affect measurements and observations.

4. What are some examples of an accelerating reference frame?

Some examples of an accelerating reference frame include a car accelerating or decelerating, a rollercoaster going up or down a hill, or a planet orbiting around a star.

5. How is an accelerating reference frame used in physics?

An accelerating reference frame is used in physics to study the effects of non-inertial forces on objects. It is also important in understanding the laws of motion and how they apply in different reference frames.