Submit Proposal to NASA: Ideas, Advice & Direction

• NASA
  • Thread starter WW_III_ANGRY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa Theory
In summary: Earth of past in real time, through advanced technology not yet developed.The idea arrived from viewing planets light years away as they were years ago. The idea is simple enough, yet massive technology breakthroughs would be required, engineered and funded.Any suggestions, questions, or advice?In summary, the person is asking for advice on submitting a proposal to NASA, and they mention that proposals / solicitations require intensive research and a master's degree in astro physics. They also mention that if the person has an interesting proposal, then it's likely to be an unusable idea due to the requirement for technology breakthroughs and funding. Finally, they mention that if the person has an idea, they
WW_III_ANGRY
Hello,

I've come looking for advice, direction etc on submitting a proposal to NASA. I emailed their general questionnaire address and was directed to submit a proposal. Proposals / Solicitations require intensive research and master of astro physics, of which I have none. They are compiled by organizations lookign for profit and fame. I have an interesting proposal of viewing the Earth of past in real time, through advanced technology not yet developed.

The idea arrived from viewing planets light years away as they were years ago. The idea is simple enough, yet massive technology breakthroughs would be required, engineered and funded.

Any suggestions, questions, or advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
WW_III_ANGRY said:
I have an interesting proposal of viewing the Earth of past in real time, through advanced technology not yet developed.

So you are asking them to do something that is not feasible. How do you think they are going to justify that to taxpayers?

"Oh yeah, we want you to pay for us to do this, but we have no way of doing it right now".

Zz.

Perhaps I should have posted this in an advanced technological forum.

WW_III_ANGRY said:
Nah -- post your idea here :smile:

J77 said:
Nah -- post your idea here :smile:

I did, any questions? It should be possible with the right technology.

Well, keep in mind that you can put a big mirror out in space, say 10 light years away, and view the Earth 20 years in the past. But since it will take more than 10 years to get the mirror there, and another 10 years to have the reflected light travel back to Earth, you will never be able to look into the Earth's past earlier than the launch of the big mirror. So you won't be able to look into the "past" of the Earth any earlier than the start of your experiment, and that does not hold much value, does it?

WW_III_ANGRY said:
I did, any questions? It should be possible with the right technology.
:confused: Did I miss it then, looked just like a proposal.

WW_III_ANGRY said:
Hello,

I've come looking for advice, direction etc on submitting a proposal to NASA. I emailed their general questionnaire address and was directed to submit a proposal. Proposals / Solicitations require intensive research and master of astro physics, of which I have none. They are compiled by organizations lookign for profit and fame. I have an interesting proposal of viewing the Earth of past in real time, through advanced technology not yet developed.

The idea arrived from viewing planets light years away as they were years ago. The idea is simple enough, yet massive technology breakthroughs would be required, engineered and funded.

Any suggestions, questions, or advice?

lol are you serious?

"They are compiled by organizations lookign for profit and fame."

hmm, ok...no they usually require that you be sane tho

NASA has entertained proposals for FTL propulsion, I don't see why this would be beyond their scope. However, there are a lot of crack-pots out their, and a lot of well-meaning people who don't realize the impossibility / unfeesability of their ideas. That is the reason they require a certain amount of research and education from those who would submit a proposal. If the person asking the question has at least a master's degree, then it's far less likely to be an unusable idea.
BTW; What is your idea?

What if the light from Earth bounced back and fourth a sum of times. If you put two mirrors faceing each other and then make an eye hole in one of the mirriors, you can stare into infinity. You will see a number of frames inside frames getting gradually smaller. If you could do this between the mirrors on Earth and outerspace, you might have an interesting project. You wouldn't be able to see any earlier than when the project was launched. But perhaps it would be possible for future generations to view light from Earth's past. If only one reflection occur between mirrors, then they would only be able to see light from x long ago which would be dependent on how far the mirror was place away from earth. But, if you could reflect the light back and fourth an infinate amount of times, then light from any time post project completion could be viewed by our predecessors for an ifinate amount of time given the technology worked and was kept functioning. I'm not sure if this would actually work, or if it is practical, but does seem to me theoretically possible.

follow "NASA Theory proposal "

I just read the post "NASA Theory proposal " posted by WW_III_ANGRY on August 5th.In his post,he said he had an interesting proposal of viewing the Earth of past. In the threads,someone said we could set a mirror several lightyears from the Earth to let our offspring see us.

I have a similar idea,but it can let us see the past.the method is in the attachment.is it feasible?is it crazy?

Attachments

• figure.JPG
    figure.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 336
is it feasible?
No.

is it crazy?
Yes.

Start with 1/r2 and determine the reduction of intensity over twice the distance to the nearest black hole. Then look at the optical photon intensity in comparison.

BTW - does one know the location of the nearest black hole?

Then consider that the Earth and solar system are constantly moving - never occupying the same spot.

WW_III_ANGRY said:
This forum does address advanced technology, but we prefer to remain in the realm of reality and practicality as opposed to science fiction.

One is still constrained by the physics of the system. The speed of light, as far as we know, is limited. The distances (in ly) are great.

Would it be practical to send a 'large' (and obviously massive) mirror out to somewhere 10 ly away, so we could 'see' 20 years in the past? No.

Consider that the Earth rotates, so one will miss at least half of what happens.

Consider that the Earth revolves around the sun, and at long distances, I imagine the sun's light will overwhelm any light from the earth.

Start with 1/r2, and determine the solid angles involved, and the requisite diameter (aperture) of the mirror to achieve a desired resolution.

And then think about the fact that the solar system doesn't stay put - it moves with the rest of the galaxy.

I know when astronomers make planetary observations in other galaxies they have to use the wobble of the sun (the planets gravity on the sun) to determine planetary mass and orbit. I am fairly sure this is done because the luminosity of a star from a great distance forms a halo making it very difficult to view planets.

1. What are the key elements that should be included in a proposal to NASA?

A proposal to NASA should include a clear and concise description of the scientific idea or technology being proposed, a detailed methodology and timeline for execution, a well-defined budget and resource plan, and a thorough explanation of the potential impact and benefits of the project.

2. Can individuals or small organizations submit proposals to NASA?

Yes, NASA encourages proposals from individuals and small organizations, as well as larger institutions. However, all proposals must meet the same rigorous standards and criteria for consideration.

3. How can I increase my chances of having my proposal accepted by NASA?

To increase your chances of having your proposal accepted by NASA, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the current priorities and goals of the agency. Your proposal should align with these priorities and clearly demonstrate its potential for advancing NASA's mission and objectives.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when submitting a proposal to NASA?

Some common mistakes to avoid when submitting a proposal to NASA include not following the specific guidelines and requirements outlined in the call for proposals, not providing enough detail or evidence to support your idea, and not clearly explaining the potential impact and benefits of the project.

5. Is there any specific format or template that should be used for a proposal to NASA?

NASA does not have a specific format or template for proposals, but it is important to follow the guidelines and requirements outlined in the call for proposals. Generally, proposals should be well-organized, clearly written, and include all necessary information and supporting materials.