Who Discovered Coulomb's Law and the Concept of Electric Field Lines?

In summary, Coulomb's law was discovered by Charles A. de Coulomb in 1785. The concept of electric field lines was not invented by Coulomb, but the sources for this information are still being searched for. Faraday is credited with creating the idea for the magnetic field, but it is unknown if he also applied it to the electric field or if it was someone else. Sources of information are appreciated for future reference.
pmb_phy
Does anyone know when Coulomb discovered his law? And does anyone know when the concept of electric field lines was invented? I know that Faraday created the idea for the magnetic field and I was wondering if it was he who applied it to the electric field or was it someone else?

Sources of information will be appreciated since I will eventually have to refer to the source of information.

Thank you

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
Does anyone know when Coulomb discovered his law? And does anyone know when the concept of electric field lines was invented? I know that Faraday created the idea for the magnetic field and I was wondering if it was he who applied it to the electric field or was it someone else?

Sources of information will be appreciated since I will eventually have to refer to the source of information.

Thank you

Pete

Well I found the Coulomb part. His experiment was published in

Charles A. de Coulomb, History Royal Acad. Sci. (France), 1785, pp. 569 and 579.

The rest I'm still searching for. Thanks.

Pete

Coulomb's Law was first discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785. He published his findings in the paper "Premier Mémoire sur l'Électricité et le Magnétisme" (First Memoir on Electricity and Magnetism). This law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

The concept of electric field lines was first introduced by Michael Faraday in the 19th century. He observed that electric charges create an electric field around them, and he represented this field using lines of force. These lines show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space.

It is important to note that while Faraday is credited with introducing the concept of electric field lines, it was actually developed independently by several scientists, including Carl Friedrich Gauss and Joseph-Louis Lagrange. However, Faraday's contributions to the understanding of electromagnetic fields were significant and he is often referred to as the "father of electromagnetism."

Sources:

- "Coulomb's Law." Encyclopedia Britannica, Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc., 9 Oct. 2019, www.britannica.com/science/Coulombs-law.

- "Electric Field Lines." HyperPhysics, Georgia State University, hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefie.html.

- "Michael Faraday." Encyclopedia Britannica, Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc., 3 Dec. 2019, www.britannica.com/biography/Michael-Faraday.

Related to Who Discovered Coulomb's Law and the Concept of Electric Field Lines?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics, which states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law mathematically expressed?

Coulomb's Law is expressed as F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb constant (8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are field lines in relation to Coulomb's Law?

Field lines are a visual representation of the electric field around a charged object. They show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space. The direction of the field lines is always from positive charges to negative charges.

4. How do field lines relate to the magnitude of the electric field?

The number of field lines per unit area is directly proportional to the magnitude of the electric field. The closer the field lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field is at that point. Conversely, the farther apart the field lines are, the weaker the electric field is at that point.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges only?

Coulomb's Law can be applied to any type of charge distribution, as long as the distance between the charges is much greater than the size of the charges. For non-point charges, the law can be applied by treating them as a collection of point charges and using vector addition to find the total force.