Sum of lengths of a finite number of overlapping segments > length of their union.

In summary, the proposition states that the sum of the lengths of a finite number of overlapping open intervals is greater than the length of their union. This is proven by showing that the difference between the sum of the lengths and the length of the union is a positive number, and this is established by rearranging the terms and utilizing the fact that the intervals overlap.
Esran

Homework Statement

I know this is probably fairly trivial, but for the life of me I cannot remember or reconstruct the proof for the proposition, "The sum of the lengths of a finite number of overlapping open intervals is greater than the length of their union."

Homework Equations

Not Applicable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose [tex]G=\left\{\left(a_{i},b_{i}\right)\right\}^{n}_{i=1}[/tex] is a finite collection of overlapping open intervals (any two intervals in [tex]G[/tex] have nonempty intersection). We wish to show:

[tex]b_{n}-a_{1}\leq\sum^{n}_{i=1}\left(b_{i}-a_{i}\right)[/tex].

My current approach is the following:

[tex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}\left(b_{i}-a_{i}\right)=b_{n}-a_{1}+\left(b_{n-1}+b_{n-2}+\ldots+b_{1}\right)-\left(a_{n}+a_{n-1}+\ldots+a_{2}\right)[/tex]

It remains to show that [tex]\left(b_{n-1}+b_{n-2}+\ldots+b_{1}\right)-\left(a_{n}+a_{n-1}+\ldots+a_{2}\right)[/tex] is a positive number.

Well, we know [tex]\left(b_{n-1}+b_{n-2}+\ldots+b_{2}\right)-\left(a_{n-1}+a_{n-2}+\ldots+a_{2}\right)[/tex] is a positive number, so we just need to establish that [tex]b_{1}-a_{n}<\left(b_{n-1}+b_{n-2}+\ldots+b_{2}\right)-\left(a_{n-1}+a_{n-2}+\ldots+a_{2}\right)[/tex].

This is where I am having problems.

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex] b_n - a_n + b_{n-1} - a_{n-1} + ... = b_n +(b_{n-1}-a_n) + (b_{n-2} - a_{n-1}) +... -a_1 [/tex]

and since the intervals overlap, you can sort them in such a way that [tex]b_{k-1} > a_k [/tex] for all k.

FAQ: Sum of lengths of a finite number of overlapping segments > length of their union.

1. What does the phrase "sum of lengths of a finite number of overlapping segments" mean?

The phrase "sum of lengths of a finite number of overlapping segments" refers to the total combined length of multiple line segments that overlap with each other.

2. How is the sum of lengths of overlapping segments calculated?

The sum of lengths of overlapping segments is calculated by adding together the lengths of each individual segment. If two or more segments overlap, their shared length is only counted once.

3. What does the phrase "length of their union" mean?

The phrase "length of their union" refers to the total length of all the segments combined, including any overlapping portions.

4. How does the sum of lengths of overlapping segments compare to the length of their union?

In most cases, the sum of lengths of overlapping segments will be greater than the length of their union, as the union includes any shared portions between segments.

5. Can the sum of lengths of overlapping segments ever be less than the length of their union?

No, the sum of lengths of overlapping segments can never be less than the length of their union. This is because the union includes all the segments and any shared portions, so the sum of lengths will always be equal to or greater than the union's length.

Back