Looking for jobs. Should I tell them I have a Master's?

In summary, the speaker is an individual with a M.Sc. in Math who is having trouble getting calls for entry-level jobs in banking or other fields. They have a strong resume and cover letter, with relevant experience and extracurricular activities, but are still not receiving any responses. They question whether their degree may be the issue and ask for advice on how to handle this situation. The other speaker suggests following up on applications and potentially adjusting the focus of their resume to highlight other qualifications.
Norman.Galois
Hi everyeone,

I'm applying to entry-level jobs in banking or just about anything. I have a M.Sc. in Math. I'm not getting any calls whatsoever for any kind of job (well not literally). Even if I'm qualified, I don't get a call. My cover and resume are very nice. I have community volunteer hours, extra-curriculars and work experience that show that I'm driven and motivated.

So what's the deal here? Should I put it on? Is that the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
How have you followed up on the positions that you've applied to? What have the people handling the short list told you?

If the responses you're getting are telling you you are overqualified, perhaps you should aim a little higher. I wouldn't omit something like a master's degree from your resume. Instead, I would change the focus, so that perhaps education is a small section on the second page.

1. Should I mention my Master's degree on my resume?

Yes, definitely mention your Master's degree on your resume. It is important to highlight your education and qualifications to potential employers.

2. How should I mention my Master's degree on my resume?

You can mention your Master's degree in the education section of your resume, listing the name of the degree, the university you attended, and the date of graduation. You can also include any relevant coursework or research projects.

3. Should I mention my Master's degree in my cover letter?

Yes, it can be beneficial to mention your Master's degree in your cover letter. This can help to show your qualifications and make you stand out as a candidate.

4. Should I bring up my Master's degree in a job interview?

If the job description or the interviewer has not specifically mentioned your Master's degree, there is no need to bring it up. However, if the job requires a higher level of education or if the interviewer asks about your education, then you should mention it.

5. Will having a Master's degree give me an advantage in the job market?

Having a Master's degree can give you an advantage in the job market as it shows that you have advanced knowledge and skills in your field. However, it is not a guarantee and your experience and qualifications in other areas will also be taken into consideration by employers.