Question about the Speed of Sound

In summary, the speed of sound does vary depending on the medium it is traveling through, such as different gases and liquids. However, for most practical purposes, the speed of sound remains relatively constant for reasonable volumes. Extremely loud sounds can travel faster than the average speed of sound. The precise speed of sound depends on factors such as air density and temperature. Seismologists use sound waves to determine information about the Earth's surface. More information about the speed of sound can be found on Wikipedia.
Vorde
Operating on what I have been taught (that sound is the vibration of the air and that particles compress, then expand, then bump into others which compress, hence waves), I don't see why louder sound doesn't travel faster than slower sound?

Can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It actually does. However, pretty much all sound is quiet enough so that the speed of sound doesn't change very much for any reasonable volume. Extremely loud sound would travel faster than the "speed of sound" though.

Do you happen to know on what basis the speed of sound as defined is? Is it just the average speed or is it the precise speed of a particular sound.

cjl said:
It actually does. However, pretty much all sound is quiet enough so that the speed of sound doesn't change very much for any reasonable volume. Extremely loud sound would travel faster than the "speed of sound" though.

ohhh yeah ??

do you have any references for that please ?

everything I have ever read indicates that the only thing that affects the speed of sound is the medium that it traveling through.

Dave

Last edited:
Vorde said:
Do you happen to know on what basis the speed of sound as defined is? Is it just the average speed or is it the precise speed of a particular sound.

its speed is not constant, for the reason I stated in my last post.
its different in different pure gasses, in water, in the atmosphere and even then depends on the air density and temperature. More dense at the Earth's surface than at say 5km altitude.
it has a different speed through the earth.
Seismologists use sound waves to determine depth, thickness and type of rock layers below the surface of the ground.

a good place to learn some basics is from wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound

cheers
Dave

Related to Question about the Speed of Sound

What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. It is approximately 343 meters per second in dry air at 20 degrees Celsius.

How does the speed of sound vary in different mediums?

The speed of sound varies depending on the medium it is traveling through. In general, sound travels faster in denser mediums and slower in less dense mediums. For example, sound travels faster in water than in air, and faster in steel than in water.

What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be affected by temperature, humidity, and air pressure. In general, sound travels faster in warmer temperatures, in higher humidity, and in higher air pressure.

How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound is typically measured using a sonic anemometer, which measures the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance. It can also be calculated using the formula: speed of sound = frequency x wavelength.

Why is the speed of sound important?

The speed of sound is important in many applications, such as in the design of airplanes and other vehicles, in the study of earthquakes and other seismic activity, and in the development of medical imaging techniques. It also has practical uses, such as determining the distance of a lightning strike based on the time delay between seeing the lightning and hearing the thunder.