Are |m-n| and |n|-|m| the same?

In summary, a vector is a mathematical quantity with both magnitude and direction, represented by an arrow. Its magnitude is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and it is different from a scalar, which only has magnitude. Vectors can be added and subtracted by adding or subtracting their corresponding components, and the direction of a vector is important for understanding its orientation and calculating resultant vectors.
mathzing
hello, can someone please tell me if this is correct? no it is not for my homework.

place vector symbols above all letters.

|m-n| = |n|-|m|

place vector symbols about the letters to specify they are vectors

so are they the same?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I understand the question, then no they are not the same. Can you tell me why?

For example, look at m=n and m=-n.

FAQ: Are |m-n| and |n|-|m| the same?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length representing the magnitude.

2. How is the magnitude of a vector calculated?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. In 2D vectors, this can be represented as √(x^2 + y^2), while in 3D vectors, it is represented as √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2).

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. A scalar is represented by a single number, while a vector is represented by multiple numbers or components.

4. How are vectors added and subtracted?

To add or subtract vectors, we simply add or subtract their corresponding components. For example, to add two 2D vectors, we add their x components and y components separately. In 3D, we add their x, y, and z components separately.

5. What is the significance of the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is important as it tells us the orientation or angle at which the vector is pointing. It is necessary for calculating the resultant vector when adding or subtracting two or more vectors, and also for understanding the motion of objects in physics.