Seeking help with visualizing surface

• Thread starter Kmenex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of functions and the relationship between the "size of 1" for two variables, x and y. The conversation ponders what would happen if the "size of 1" for x and y were not equal. It also mentions the concept of changing the difference between the units as a function of x. The conversation ends with a comparison to different units used in measurement, such as feet and miles or degrees of latitude and longitude.
Kmenex
I'm a rogue babble master, hear me out.

I have been puzzled by this little idea concerning functions and the "relation" between the "size of the 1" for, say variable x, and the "size of the 1" for variable y. Naturally the two variables x and y both take "the unit" as their size of 1, and this unit has the same size in both x and y. Don't even let me mention my nonsense about "distinct sets of real numbers"

Well, what would happen if this were not the case? What would happen if the "size of 1" in the y direction was not the same as the size of 1 in the x direction? I like to describe this by saying that when x's unit = 1 then y's unit = .99998 (or something), and when y's unit = 1 then x's unit = 1.00002 ...

And then what happens when you let the difference between the units change as a function of x, or...

hmmm this isn't very well thought out.. maybe a mathematician can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kmenex! :smile:

We do this quite often.

For example, an aircraft measures its height in feet, but its horizontal distance in miles … that doesn't create any problems!

And degrees of laitude and longitude are of different lengths (except at the equator), and the ratio depends on where you are! :smile:

1. What is the importance of visualizing surface in scientific studies?

Visualizing surface is crucial in scientific studies as it allows researchers to better understand the three-dimensional structure of objects and their properties. This can aid in identifying patterns, making predictions, and communicating complex data in a more understandable way.

2. What are some common techniques for visualizing surface?

Some common techniques for visualizing surface include 3D modeling, mapping, and imaging techniques such as scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM). Other techniques may involve computer software programs or physical models.

3. Can visualizing surface help with data analysis?

Yes, visualizing surface can greatly aid in data analysis by allowing researchers to visually identify trends, outliers, and relationships between variables. It can also help with identifying potential errors or anomalies in the data.

4. Are there any limitations to visualizing surface?

Yes, there are some limitations to visualizing surface. Some techniques may have a limited resolution or may only provide a partial representation of the surface. Additionally, the accuracy of the visualization may depend on the quality and quantity of the data used.

5. How can I improve my skills in visualizing surface?

To improve your skills in visualizing surface, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying scientific principles and techniques used. You can also practice by experimenting with different visualization tools and techniques, seeking feedback from peers and mentors, and staying updated on the latest advancements in the field.