The Second derivative test for Concavity

In summary, the first derivative test for testing concavity states that a differentiable function y=f(x) is concave up on an interval I if f' is increasing on I, and concave down on an interval I if f' is decreasing on I. The second derivative test indicates that if f'' > 0 on I, the graph of f over I is concave up, and if f'' < 0 on I, the graph of f over I is concave down. The notation ##f^{\prime\prime}>0## is shorthand for ##f^{\prime\prime}(x) >0## for each ##x## in the domain. This means that the slope of the tangent line to the curve
22990atinesh
I understand the 1st derivative test for testing concavity which says

The graph of a differentiable function y=f(x) is

1. concave up on an interval I if f' is increasing on I.
2. concave down on an interval I if f' is decreasing on I.

But I'm confused with 2nd derivative test which says

Let y=f(x) is twice differentiable on an interval I
1. If f'' > 0 on I, the graph of f over I is concave up.
2. If f'' < 0 on I, the graph of f over I is concave down.

If f'' < 0 or f'' > 0, then it means its a number (negative or positive). Which means f' is linear and function quadratic. Please correct me If I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation ##f^{\prime\prime}>0## is shorthand for ##f^{\prime\prime}(x) >0## for each ##x## in the domain.

For example, if ##f(x) = x^4##, then ##f^{\prime\prime}(x) = 12x^2>0## for each ##x##. Thus we denote this by the notation ##f^{\prime\prime}>0##.

micromass said:
The notation ##f^{\prime\prime}>0## is shorthand for ##f^{\prime\prime}(x) >0## for each ##x## in the domain.

For example, if ##f(x) = x^4##, then ##f^{\prime\prime}(x) = 12x^2>0## for each ##x##. Thus we denote this by the notation ##f^{\prime\prime}>0##.

micromass you mean ##f^{\prime\prime} > 0## (or ##f^{\prime\prime}(x) >0##) intuitively means tangent slope at each point on the derivative curve should be positive or negative. Is that correct ?

Yes. You had said initially that
The graph of a differentiable function y=f(x) is

1. concave up on an interval I if f' is increasing on I.
2. concave down on an interval I if f' is decreasing on I.

Of course, if f' is increasing, its derivative, f'', is positive and if f' is decreasing, f'' is negative.

22990atinesh said:
micromass you mean ##f^{\prime\prime} > 0## (or ##f^{\prime\prime}(x) >0##) intuitively means tangent slope at each point on the derivative curve should be positive or negative. Is that correct ?
No.
If f' > 0 for all x in some interval, then the slope of the tangent is positive on that interval. f'', the second derivative, gives the rate of change of the slope of the tangent.

As a simple example, let f(x) = x2. Then f'(x) = 2x, and f''(x) = 2.

Here, f'' > 0 for all real numbers, but the slope of the tangent to this curve is negative when x < 0, and is positive when x > 0.

What is happening is that the slope of the tangent line to the curve is increasing (from very negative to very positive) as we move from the left to the right.

Thanx Everybody, My doubt is clear now. Just like First derivative Test tells us the behaviour of the function whether it is increasing or decreasing. The Second Derivative Test tells us the behaviour of the slope of the function whether it is increasing or decreasing.

22990atinesh said:
Thanx Everybody, My doubt is clear now. Just like First derivative Test tells us the behaviour of the function whether it is increasing or decreasing.
The derivative (or first derivative) indicates where the function is increasing or decreasing (or zero).
22990atinesh said:
The Second Derivative Test tells us the behaviour of the slope of the function whether it is increasing or decreasing.
Yes, the second derivative tells us whether the derivative is increasing or decreasing or zero.

Mark44, One more thing

Suppose we have given that f'>0 on I => f increases on I, But it doesn't say anything about the curvature of f on I. It just says f is moving upwards as x increases.

If we want to know whether f is curved on I or is a staright line we need f'' on I. If f''>0 or f''<0 on I then f is curved on I (Cocave Up or Concae Down), But if f''=0 on I then f is a straight line on I.

Is above analogy is right

22990atinesh said:
Mark44, One more thing

Suppose we have given that f'>0 on I => f increases on I, But it doesn't say anything about the curvature of f on I. It just says f is moving upwards as x increases.
Yes. The curve could be concave up like y = x2 on [0, ∞) or could be concave down like y = √x on [0, ∞).
22990atinesh said:
If we want to know whether f is curved on I or is a staright line we need f'' on I. If f''>0 or f''<0 on I then f is curved on I (Cocave Up or Concae Down), But if f''=0 on I then f is a straight line on I.

Is above analogy is right
Yes.

Thanx Mark44 :)

Related to The Second derivative test for Concavity

1. What is the second derivative test for concavity?

The second derivative test for concavity is a mathematical method used to determine the concavity of a function at a specific point. It involves taking the second derivative of the function and analyzing its sign to determine whether the function is concave up or concave down at that point.

2. How is the second derivative test for concavity applied?

The second derivative test for concavity is applied by taking the second derivative of the function and evaluating it at the point in question. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up at that point, and if it is negative, the function is concave down.

3. What is the significance of the second derivative test for concavity?

The second derivative test for concavity is important because it allows us to determine the shape of a function at a specific point. This information is useful in understanding the behavior of a function and making predictions about its graph.

4. Can the second derivative test for concavity be used to find inflection points?

Yes, the second derivative test for concavity can be used to find inflection points. An inflection point occurs when the concavity of a function changes, and this can be determined by analyzing the sign of the second derivative at that point.

5. Are there any limitations to the second derivative test for concavity?

Yes, there are limitations to the second derivative test for concavity. This method can only be applied to functions that are twice differentiable, meaning that their first and second derivatives exist and are continuous. Additionally, it can only be used to determine concavity at a single point and does not provide information about the overall concavity of a function.