Simple question : what is the average of a six sided dice rolls ?

In summary, when a die is considered "fair," it means that each side has an equal chance of occurring. However, the more times the die is rolled, the better the results become. Without knowing the number of times the die is rolled, it is impossible to determine if the chances are truly equal.
withoutfear
The dice is 'fair' - does that mean it is a fair chance to roll any number ?

I say the answer is just the average forumula.

My friend says the answer is 'each has a fair chance of occurring' or something like that < ---
but that's not the average roll

I also know that the more times you roll the dice the better the results become

So without knowing how many times we're rolling the dice how can we say the chances are equal b.c it won't be perfectly random if we only roll the dice twice

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A die is "fair" means that each side has an equal chance of occurring. I don't know what a "fair chance" means.

I also know that the more times you roll the dice the better the results become.
Tnen you know something that is not true. I suspect you are remembering a garbled version of the "law of large numbers".

Why would it not "be perfectly random if we only roll the dice twice"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember making a program once that made a random number generator (1-10). You had to do many iterations before the random number generator was truly random. ( I can't remember the specifics of the program).

so i guess I am trying to say a shorter time means there is more variability in the results

but how can the average be : 'they all have the same chance' the average would have to be a formula ?

withoutfear said:
The dice is 'fair' - does that mean it is a fair chance to roll any number ?

I say the answer is just the average forumula.

My friend says the answer is 'each has a fair chance of occurring' or something like that < ---
but that's not the average roll

I also know that the more times you roll the dice the better the results become

So without knowing how many times we're rolling the dice how can we say the chances are equal b.c it won't be perfectly random if we only roll the dice twice

Minor point: One needs to know if the die is biased and also what the values are on its faces (just because a die has six faces does not mean they are marked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - in fact I have one that's marked 0, 2, 3, -4, 5, -6.)

If the die is unbiased (aka "fair") then you are correct that the expected value is the arithmetic average of the die face values.

--Elucidus

The arithmetic mean of a normal fair die is 3.5. Its geometric average is about 3.

1. What is a six sided dice?

A six sided dice, also known as a regular or standard dice, is a small cube-shaped object with six numbered sides, typically ranging from 1 to 6.

2. How do you calculate the average of a six sided dice rolls?

The average of a six sided dice rolls can be calculated by adding up all the possible outcomes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6) and dividing by the total number of outcomes (6), resulting in an average of 3.5.

3. Is the average of a six sided dice rolls always 3.5?

No, the average of a six sided dice rolls is not always 3.5. It is an expected value based on the assumption that every outcome has an equal chance of occurring. However, in reality, the actual average may vary due to chance or other factors.

4. Can the average of a six sided dice rolls be greater than 6?

No, the average of a six sided dice rolls cannot be greater than 6 since that is the maximum possible outcome on a six sided dice. The average is a measure of central tendency and is limited by the range of possible outcomes.

5. Why is the average of a six sided dice rolls important?

The average of a six sided dice rolls is important in probability and statistics as it represents the most likely outcome in a random event. It can also be used to predict future outcomes and make decisions based on probabilities.