How much work is done during the combustion of 1.0 mol of octane at 1.0 atm?

In summary, the change in internal energy for the combustion of 1.0 mol of octane at a pressure of 1.0 atm is 5084.5 Kj, and the change in enthalpy is 5074.2 Kj. By using the formula \DeltaE=\DeltaH + (-P\DeltaV), we can calculate the work done during the combustion to be 10.3 L*atm x 101.3J, which is equivalent to 1.04339 Kj. The error in the previous attempt was caused by using kJ/atm instead of liters in the calculation for change in volume.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

The change in internal energy for the combustion of 1.0 mol of octane at a pressure of 1.0 atm is 5084.5 Kj. If the change in enthalpy is 5074.2 Kj, how much work is done during the combustion? Find work in Kj.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E=[tex]\Delta[/tex]H + (-P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V)

w=-P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E=5084.5Kj
[tex]\Delta[/tex]H=5074.2Kj

5084.5-5074.2=-1atm([tex]\Delta[/tex]V)
-10.3=[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

w=-(1)(-10.3)=10.3

10.3L*atm x 101.3J=1043.39J

[tex]\frac{1043.39}{1000}[/tex]= 1.04339 Kj

This is an online homework set, so when I input the answer it usually will give me a hint if I am close, but I am not getting anything. Can anyone spot my error? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you have already figured this out, but I thought I'd let you know I found your problem. The way you solved it, your change in volume ended up in kJ/atm when it should be in liters. I just did a track and took 10300J and divided it by 101.3 J to end up with about 101.68 L.

10.3kJ/atm x 1000J/1kJ x 1 Latm/101.3J= 101.68 L.

Hopefully that helped if you haven't already figured it out!

1. What is enthalpy and how is it related to stoichiometry?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the total energy of a system. In terms of stoichiometry, enthalpy is related to the energy changes that occur in a chemical reaction. It is commonly used to determine the heat released or absorbed during a reaction, which is important in understanding the thermodynamics of a reaction.

2. How is enthalpy represented in a chemical equation?

Enthalpy is represented by the symbol ΔH in a chemical equation. This symbol stands for the change in enthalpy, which can be either positive (endothermic) or negative (exothermic) depending on whether energy is absorbed or released in the reaction.

3. How is stoichiometry used to calculate enthalpy changes?

Stoichiometry is used to determine the molar ratios of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. These ratios can then be used to calculate the amount of energy involved in the reaction, which is represented by the enthalpy change (ΔH). By using the appropriate stoichiometric ratios, we can determine the enthalpy change for a given reaction.

4. What is the significance of enthalpy in chemical reactions?

Enthalpy is significant in chemical reactions because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a reaction. This information is important in determining the feasibility and spontaneity of a reaction, as well as the amount of heat that needs to be supplied or removed to control the reaction.

5. How does enthalpy relate to other thermodynamic quantities?

Enthalpy is closely related to other thermodynamic quantities such as entropy and Gibbs free energy. These quantities are used together to understand the energy relationships in a system and predict the direction and extent of a reaction. Enthalpy is also used in conjunction with other thermodynamic data to calculate other properties such as heat capacity and enthalpy of vaporization.