Angular momentum (L) in z-axis of hydroxyl radical

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the expected value of Lz for a hydroxyl radical in the gas phase, using the given wavefunction and information such as the Planck constant and quantum numbers. The question also touches on the effect of the lone electron on the molecule's orbitals and how it relates to Lz. The solution would involve calculating ml from the rotational quantum number (l) and using it to solve for Lz=mlħ in SI units.
Nezva
Problem:
A hydroxyl radical in the gas phase is found to be in a rotational state with the wavefunction given, it's a long wavefunction so I'm not going to post unless needed.

a) Calculate the expected value of Lz for this radical in SI units.
I think Lz=mlħ is important for this but where does the given psi function come into play? I doubt it is extraneous information.

Information:
ħ = h/2[tex]\pi[/tex]
[tex]h\ =\ 6.62606876(52)\ \times\ 10^{-34}\ J\ s[/tex]
ml = -l, -l+1, -l+2, ... l-2, l-1, l
My problem: Unsure how to find the proper orbitals associated with OH radical. The hydrogen is 1s1 and the oxygen is 1s2 2s2 2p4.

b) Is the angular momentum vector parallel, perpendicular, or at an angle from the z-axis.

I'll attempt a solution if someone can point me in the right direction, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still struggling on this problem.

How does the lone electron effect the orbitals associated with the molecule?
(Lz)

Beginning attempt at solution: (possibly incorrect formulas)

The orbitals would give me the rotational quantum number (l), thus giving me spatial orientation quantum number (ml), with which I could solve for Lz=mlħ

FAQ: Angular momentum (L) in z-axis of hydroxyl radical

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that measures the amount of rotational force or torque an object has around an axis.

2. How is Angular Momentum Calculated?

Angular momentum in the z-axis is calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the Significance of Angular Momentum in the Hydroxyl Radical?

The hydroxyl radical is a highly reactive molecule that plays an important role in atmospheric chemistry. The z-axis angular momentum of the hydroxyl radical is crucial in understanding its rotational energy and its interactions with other molecules in the atmosphere.

4. How does the Angular Momentum of a Hydroxyl Radical Affect Chemical Reactions?

The angular momentum of a hydroxyl radical affects chemical reactions by determining the orientation and energy of the molecule as it approaches and interacts with other molecules. This can impact the rate and outcome of chemical reactions involving the hydroxyl radical.

5. Can Angular Momentum in the z-axis of a Hydroxyl Radical be Manipulated?

Angular momentum, like all physical quantities, follows the laws of conservation. Therefore, the angular momentum of a hydroxyl radical in the z-axis cannot be manipulated directly. However, it can be indirectly influenced by changing the rotational energy of the molecule through changes in its kinetic or potential energy.

Back