Texniccenter/eps/pdf and transparent images

In summary, the conversation is about adding EPS images with transparent backgrounds to a PDF generated by Texniccenter in a Windows environment. The speaker is looking for a way to do this and asks if it can be done using \includegraphics. The other person suggests using MikTeX or MacTeX, which automatically convert EPS images to PDF when using latexpdf. They also provide a link to a resource for troubleshooting. The speaker thanks them for the link and realizes their mistake of using GIF images instead of JPG, and also learns that they can use JPG or PNG instead of just EPS images. They mention using Tikz/pgf to support transparency, and eventually figure out how to make it work with PNG images. They also mention being new to LaTeX
cobalt124
I'm looking for a way to add eps images with a transparent background to a pdf generated by texniccenter (Windows environment). Can this be done?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you just incorporate the image using \includegraphics?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Importing_Graphics#Compiling_with_pdflatex

With my installs of MikTeX and MacTeX, the .eps images get automatically converted to .pdf (and left in the directory for future use) when I run latexpdf. However, the link above (and beside .eps) suggests some alternate steps if you're having trouble.

Thanks for the link, I think I am on the right track now. I skim read that link previously in my googling and found nothing on transparency and moved on. This time I read it through and realized my two mistakes, the really silly one of initially using gif images (not supported) instead of jpg, which led me to assuming that I could only use eps images, which isn't true. I did notice however that I am running texpdf and not latexpdf which I will have to look into. Anyway, I'm confident I should have this cracked soon. As you've probably guessed, I'm new to latex.

Cracked it. I don't think latex supports transparency directly, so tried Tikz/pgf. This only supports jpg and png and since jpg doesn't support transparency I tried png and it works. Though I don't see why it shouldn't just work in latex.

Yes, it is possible to add EPS images with transparent backgrounds to a PDF generated by Texniccenter in a Windows environment. This can be achieved by using a graphic design software such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator to create an EPS image with a transparent background. Then, when inserting the image into the Texniccenter document, make sure to select the "transparent" option in the image properties. This will allow the transparency of the EPS image to be preserved in the resulting PDF.

What is Texniccenter?

Texniccenter is a popular integrated development environment (IDE) used for creating and editing LaTeX documents. It provides a user-friendly interface for writing, compiling, and previewing documents.

What is the purpose of EPS files?

EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) files are used to store vector images, such as logos or illustrations, in a high-quality format that is easily scalable without losing resolution. They are commonly used in publications and can be inserted into LaTeX documents using Texniccenter.

Can Texniccenter handle transparent images?

Yes, Texniccenter can handle transparent images, such as PNG or GIF files. These images can be inserted into LaTeX documents and will appear transparent in the final document if the PDF file is compiled correctly.

How can I include transparent images in my PDF document using Texniccenter?

To include transparent images in a PDF document created with Texniccenter, you need to use the package "graphicx" and specify the transparency option when inserting the image. You can also use the command "pdflatex -shell-escape" to ensure that the transparency is preserved in the final document.

What is the difference between EPS and PDF files?

EPS files are primarily used for vector graphics, while PDF files can contain both vector and raster images. Additionally, EPS files are typically used for print, while PDF files are more commonly used for digital distribution. Texniccenter can handle both types of files and convert them into a PDF document.