Dielectric effect on induced electric field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a time varying magnetic field on a dielectric material, which follows Faraday's Law. The question is whether the induced electric field will cause the dipoles in the dielectric to polarize, reducing the net electric field in the material. The conversation also mentions the relative permittivity of the dielectric and the possibility of errors in the displayed equations.
BMPaul
Hi everyone,

From what I understand if you had a time varying magnetic field inside a dielectric it will induce a time varying electric field according to Faraday's Law:

[tex]\nabla\times\mathbf{E}=-\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]

My question is will the dipoles in the dielectric then polarize to the induced electric field reducing the net electric field in the dielectric (assume the dielectric to be homogeneous linear isotropic dielectric) so that the net electric field is now [tex] \varepsilon _{r} [/tex] time less than if the same thing happened in free space.

Thanks.

PS. this is my first post so tell me if I am doing something wrong or am being vague in what I am asking.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry don't know why I'm getting the maths error. The first equation is Faraday law and the second is the relative permittivity

1. What is the dielectric effect on induced electric field?

The dielectric effect on induced electric field refers to the change in the strength of the electric field that is induced in a material when an external electric field is applied. This change is caused by the presence of a dielectric material, which can either increase or decrease the induced electric field depending on its properties.

2. How does a dielectric material affect the induced electric field?

A dielectric material affects the induced electric field by either increasing or decreasing its strength. This is because dielectric materials have different electrical properties than vacuum, and their presence can alter the distribution of charges and electric fields within a material.

3. What is the role of dielectric constant in the induced electric field?

The dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity, measures the ability of a material to store electrical energy. It plays a crucial role in the dielectric effect on induced electric field, as it determines how much the electric field will be affected by the presence of a dielectric material.

4. Is the dielectric effect on induced electric field always present?

Yes, the dielectric effect on induced electric field is always present whenever an external electric field is applied to a material that contains a dielectric. However, its magnitude and direction may vary depending on the properties of the dielectric material and the external electric field.

5. How do different types of dielectric materials affect the induced electric field?

Different types of dielectric materials can affect the induced electric field differently. For example, materials with high dielectric constants, such as ceramics, can significantly increase the strength of the induced electric field, while materials with low dielectric constants, like air, can decrease it. The dielectric properties of a material also depend on factors such as temperature and frequency of the external electric field.